Home   Sport   Article

Tracey’s speechless after Cornard throw away lead

NO COMMENT: Cornard United manager Chris Tracey had nothing to say to the press after his side drew 3-3 with Team Bury on Saturday
NO COMMENT: Cornard United manager Chris Tracey had nothing to say to the press after his side drew 3-3 with Team Bury on Saturday



Cornard United 3

Team Bury 3

Cornard United boss Chris Tracey refused to talk to the press following his side squandering a 3-0 lead against Team Bury on Saturday.

“No comment” said Tracey as he left Blackhouse Lane after seeing Cornard (17th) draw 3-3 against the side directly below them in the Thurlow Nunn League First Division table.

The draw may have ended United’s run of seven straight defeats, but this was a display that left Tracey, a good defender as a player, suffering on the touchline as the Ards committed needless errors and dropped two points.

Goals in the fifth and seventh minute put Cornard on top, and a third in the 28th really should have made it game over.

Score three at home and you would normally expect to celebrate a victory.

But instead of keeping the pressure on their visitors, who had not played since December 19 after losing games to the weather, Cornard gifted Bury two goals before missing a penalty right on half-time to put pressure on themselves.

The equaliser did not come until four minutes from time, but the signs were there throughout the second-half. Perhaps, from Cornard’s point of view, it was good the equaliser did not arrive earlier.

Romario Dunne, a recent signing from Braintree Town, put Cornard ahead in the fifth minute after Bury failed to clear their lines, and Luke Payne made it two in the seventh minute, beating the offside trap to run on to Dunne’s pass.

Payne took advantage as Team Bury hesitated over a back pass in the 28th minute. Ben Mills blocked the shot, but Ezra Drann followed up to make it three, and the Ards were coasting.

But they let Bury back in on 37 minutes, backing off and allowing Jed Wigley to shoot over Aaron Reid, who was off his line.

Nick Ingram got the second following a quickly-taken free kick in the 39th minute, and when Dunne saw his 45th minute penalty saved by Mills, it was game on.

Both sides had chances in the second-half, but the longer the game went on, the more Bury looked likely to score, with Matt Collins heading in from a corner in the 86th minute to complete the comeback.

Cornard United: Reid, Melarkey, Goodyear, Morley (Marshall 21), Sloots, Dowding, Robinson (Brett 77), Finan, Dunne, Drann, Payne (Morgan 57). Subs not used: Tracey, Doherty. Referee Michael Jarvis. Attendance 40.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More