Home   Sport   Article

Thrower’s late strike seals Hadleigh a win at Thetford

Latest sport news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
Latest sport news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter



Thetford Town 0

Hadleigh United 1

A late strike by Danny Thrower at Thetford stretched Hadleigh United’s unbeaten run to five games in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.

In a game which looked destined to end as a draw on Saturday, Hadleigh grabbed all three points in the dying moments when Thrower pounced on the loose ball in the area after Sam Sharp’s effort was blocked on the line.

Hadleigh boss Ian Brown was pleased with his side’s performance and said he wants to take the momentum into their Friday night game away to Clacton tomorrow (7.45pm).

“If we had that game a few weeks ago I don’t think we would have won it but we battled well and it gives us confidence for the rest of the season,” said Brown, whose side are up to 11th in the table now.

The Hadleigh boss named a young side for the trip to Mundford Road with Dan Knight impressing at left-back.

“This has been a transitional period for us with a lot of young players enjoying their first year at this level,” Brown said.

Hadleigh survived an early scare when Thetford’s Shaun Hunsdon saw his long throw flicked on by Jamie Buhlemann to Joe Allen in the six-yard box. Allen managed to find some space to lay the ball back to Buhlemann, but he blazed his shot over the bar from close range.

United were unlucky not to be given a penalty when Marley Spindler was brought down by Andrew Cusack in the area after latching onto a loose header by the Thetford defence. Cusack seemed to get none of the ball but the referee waved play on with both managers later agreeing that Hadleigh should have been awarded a penalty.

Thrower’s high, looping cross caused havoc in the Thetford Town area. They struggled to clear their lines and the ball fell kindly to Aaron Churchyard who managed to poke the ball towards goal, but keeper Matt Barker pushed it round the post.

The second half was much like the first, with both sides finding it hard to keep the ball down on a very boggy and hard pitch.

United were threatening late on when Thetford defender Luke Bailey failed to clear from Knight’s cross. This gave George Mrozek a free header but the striker could not get enough on it as it went just wide.

With Thetford looking for a winner to help their relegation chances, Hadleigh capitalised on some poor defending when Sharp broke through down the left. The substitute took the ball round the goalkeeper, but his shot was blocked on the line by Bailey. The ball then fell kindly to Thrower but he was denied on the line before slotting home at the second time of asking to snatch all three points for Brown’s men.

The Hadleigh boss added he was delighted to come away with the win, which brings the Brettsiders to within two points of the top half with a game in hand.

“We had a few chances in the game but we needed be calm with our finishing, but I knew we had a goal in us,” Brown said.

Thetford: Barker, Buhlemann, Cusack, Gibson, Hutcherson, Bailey, Hunsdon, Pearson, Allen (Standley), Buhlemann (Dean), Reed (White). Subs: Dean, Leech, Standley, White. Not used: Leech.

Hadleigh: Nower, Gaffer, Knight, Downey, Artiss, Rose, Chaplin (Sharp), Spindler, Churchyard (Mrozek), Garnham (Scopes), Thrower. Subs: Mrozek, Sharp, Scopes.

Attendance: 74.

Free Press Man of The Match: Dan Knight.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More