Home   Sport   Article

Sudbury’s big hitters lay foundation for easy win

CAPTAIN'S KNOCK: Sudbury skipper Darren Batch takes a quick single on the way to his second East Anglian Premier League century of the season.
CAPTAIN'S KNOCK: Sudbury skipper Darren Batch takes a quick single on the way to his second East Anglian Premier League century of the season.


Sudbury 307-3 beat

Frinton on Sea 201

by 106 runs

After three weeks of weather-affected matches, Sudbury got back into action with a convincing victory at Friars Street on Saturday.

Sudbury were put in and Tom Huggins took a liking to his Suffolk and one-time Essex team-mate Mervyn Westfield’s bowling, dispatching him to the boundary on all sides.

Huggins raced to 50 in just the 12th over and in a partnership with Nathan Poole put on 85 for the first wicket.

Huggins’ attacking stroke-play, which had brought him 12 boundaries in his 55-ball stay, was ultimately his downfall, and he departed for 58.

Poole was joined by skipper Darren Batch and the pair carried on the early momentum.

Poole cantered onto his half-century as he picked off boundaries almost at will, Batch happy to play the supporting role as they made it safely to the lunch break with the score a healthy 189-1.

Shortly after a brief rain delay, and with the partnership 107, a mix up in the running saw Poole depart for a tremendous 84, 16 runs short of a richly deserved century.

James O’Brien was then on the receiving end of a hostile spell from Westfield.

O’Brien withstood the barrage but, looking to push the score on, was trapped LBW by visiting skipper Kyran Young to bring Ben Reece to the crease with the score at 217-3.

Reece and Batch pushed the score past 250. Another rain delay meant that Sudbury’s innings was shortened, but Batch completed his second EAPL century of the season, finishing on 104 not out.

Reece struck the ball cleanly throughout his knock of 43 from 39 deliveries and helped push the score on to 307-3.

Frinton’s reply started slowly until the fifth over when Michael Griggs slapped two consecutive fours down the ground off the bowling of James Poulson.

But his third attempt ended up in the safe hands of Peter Siegert at mid-on. Young guided his side to tea without further alarm, but when Huggins managed to trap him LBW shortly after the break, the home side sensed victory.

Huggins removed David Brent to leave the visitors at 59-3. Poulson nicked Westfield and tore through Murray Commins’ (53) defences.

A fine rearguard partnership between Matt Foakes and Thomas Benn saw Frinton put on 111 runs in just 20 overs and in sight of saving the game.

But the run out of Benn (36) was followed immediately by the dismissal of Foakes, caught at cover for a superb 74, which left Frinton on 196-7 with six overs to hold out for a draw.

Poulson snatched the initiative as he had Hambrook caught behind, but it was left to Reece to wrap up the match with two wickets in four balls as the Talbots grabbed the win and the full 30 points to push themselves up to fifth.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More