Home   Sport   Article

Sudbury put on a show in away victory against Holt



Holt 18 Sudbury 50

Those who made the long trip from Sudbury to Norfolk were rewarded with another stunning performance by the boys in blue and white.

Three tries in the first eight minutes showed how eager both teams were for the win.

Sudbury kicked off in ideal rugby conditions and Holt knocked on to give the visitors a scrum on their 10 metre line.

Quick hands from the scrum moved the ball to Shaun Smith on the right wing, and Sudbury were five points ahead with less than two minutes on the clock.

From the restart, Holt drove deep into the Sudbury half, and returned the compliment with four phases of play to score and level the match.

Harry Maile made one of his darting runs to cross the line for the visitors, and the action was fast and furious with less than 10 minutes of play gone and three tries having been scored.

Holt realised that every point they could muster would be vital, so opted to kick a penalty just inside the Sudbury half when they were adjudged offside, to bring the deficit down to two.

The visitors were getting the better of the set pieces and after 15 minutes secured a line out on the home 22.

The maul drove steadily to the stripe for Chris Whybrow to claim the points.

Chris Lewis converted the try to stretch Sudbury’s lead once more, and Graham Richards’ men were playing some excellent rugby when the bonus point came midway through the first-half.

A try from Dan Taylor put Sudbury firmly in the ascendency, with Maile running from his 22 to score, and despite Holt finishing the half with a second penalty, they went into the break 29-11 in front.

The visitors continued to apply the pressure in the second-half, as Ethan Wright scored shortly after the restart, as well as Lewis, and it was obvious from both tries that the onslaught was having an effect on Holt’s resolve to tackle.

With the game won, Sudbury took their foot off the gas and the hosts enjoyed a brief resurgence.

However, the visiting defence held firm and the urgency of the game was gone.

Jake Thurlow bundled over for Sudbury five minutes before the end and Lewis converted to bring up a half century of points.

One last hoorah from Holt saw them score the final try, but it was a fine performance from Sudbury against a well-drilled side.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More