Home   Sport   Article

Sudbury put in another spirited display but still suffer a defeat

ON THE SCORESHEET: Tom Summers (pictured with the ball) scored a conversion for Sudbury on Saturday
ON THE SCORESHEET: Tom Summers (pictured with the ball) scored a conversion for Sudbury on Saturday


Sudbury 17

Brentwood 41

Sudbury put up a good rugby performance, but too many mistakes again cost them dear as they slipped to a 41-17 defeat to Brentwood.

Ben Scully’s charges faced second-placed Brentwood on Saturday and again produced a competitive display against a well-drilled side, as shown by their league standing.

Sudbury kicked off up the slope at Whittome Field and Brentwood knocked-on with their first touch of the ball.

The hosts attacked from the 22-metre scrum, but their own knock-on ended the move.

After eight minutes of play, Brentwood mounted their first organised attack and good hands put the ball across the park to Henry Galligan on the wing, who ran round behind the posts to score.

The game was being played at an amazing pace, but handling errors spoilt the home side’s good work, allowing Brentwood to clear their lines.

On the half hour mark, the visitors increased their lead with an easy penalty after the Blues pulled down the maul.

Brentwood’s stronger pack mounted a pick and drive from the Sudbury 22 to score again, but in the final minutes of the half Sudbury put in a huge effort to put Charles Jackson clear on the right to score.

Tom Summers added the extra two points to make it seven.

At the restart, Brentwood charged down the Sudbury clearance kick and crossed the paintwork but were held up.

The visitors retained field position and kept play in the Sudbury red zone, eventually scoring from a five-metre scrum and through two pair of hands to touch down after three minutes of play.

Missed tackles were costing Sudbury dear and the visitors scored again as the backs ran through the home defence to claim another try.

Sudbury made several good breaks without scoring, but eventually broke through as they pounced on the ball for Tom Barry to score.

Brentwood’s strength was taking its toll on the hosts and their continued pressure paid dividends with another score on the hour.

Sam Maile made a great break from the restart, taking play into the Brentwood 22 before spilling the ball.

The ball was sent back to the Sudbury 22 and Brentwood won the race, with a little help from some shirt pulling, to score another try to wrap up a 41-17 victory.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More