Youthful Sudbury run rings round ageing Cantabs

Latest sport news from the Suffolk Free Press,, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
Latest sport news from the Suffolk Free Press,, @sfpsudbury on Twitter



Sudbury 35

Cantabrigians 10

Sudbury got off to a good start in this year’s cup competition when they comprehensively beat Cantabs at Whittome Field on Saturday.

Cantabrigians, who visit in the league on Saturday (3pm), were first to score when they drove over from a lineout inside the 22 metre line after eight minutes.

With their big pack it looked as though this might be the pattern of the game for the rest of the afternoon with the hosts’ possession restricted in the opening 20 minutes.

Russell Hume made the breakthrough for Sudbury when they were awarded two penalties and a quick tap on the second allowed the scrum-half to dart through to score.

Tom Summers had a good day with the boot and added the extra two points for the lead.

Cantabs returned to the pick-and-drive tactics whenever they got near the Sudbury line, but a superb crunching tackle by Joe Birmingham stopped them in their tracks to keep the score 7-5 at the break.

Sudbury kicked off up the hill in the second half and were immediately awarded a scrum.

They hooked the ball cleanly and Peter Dedross drove over from the flank to score, with another good kick from Summers securing the extras.

Sudbury scored again after a scrum. The ball was moved quickly through the backs and shipped wide for Ollie Benton to touch down.

Cantabs scored a second try after a period in the Sudbury 22 and, after several attempts to cross the line, they eventually sent the ball wide to score in the corner midway through the half.

Age was now having an effect on the game and Cantabs were slowing, but Sudbury were still full of running.

Knox-McCauley, the Cantabs centre, was playing for the Sudbury first-team in 1993, before many of the current squad were born, and as long as Sudbury kept the ball moving Cantabs were on the backfoot.

A deft kick ahead by Summers, wide to the wing, allowed John Coone to run on to the ball to score almost unopposed.

Hume scored the final try, his second, in the last few minutes of the game.