Young guns fire Sudbury into the semi-finals of Suffolk Cup

editorial image
Share this article

SUFFOLK CUP QUARTER-FINAL: Woodbridge 5 Sudbury 24

Sudbury’s youngsters grabbed their chance to shine at Woodbridge and book the cup holders a place in the semi-final.

The Blues travelled to Woodbridge on Saturday with a much-changed team from the regular squad that has been used for the league campaign.

All those players nursing injuries were given the week off and many of the youngsters playing in the second team were given the opportunity to show what they could do.

The opening exchanges were played in the Woodbridge half and three minutes in the hosts received a yellow card for a straight-arm tackle, which added to the pressure Sudbury were applying.

From a five-metre scrum the ball was recycled quickly through three pairs of hands to Charles Jackson, who touched down wide on the right for a 5-0 lead with six minutes on the clock.

Woodbridge settled, tightened their defence and got their pack working more effectively, which brought them back into the game after forcing errors from the visitors.

But they missed a penalty kick, which was returned with interest midway into the hosts’ half.

Sudbury were making hard work of the first half, being pushed back at the scrum, not taking the ball cleanly at the lineouts and making silly handling errors, which gave the home side momentum and territory.

Twenty-one minutes in, Woodbridge posted points on the board from a scrum wide on the right to level.

Tom Summers received a yellow card for back chat and Sudbury played out the rest of the half with no further drama.

The second half again saw the visitors gain the early initiative and they scored after seven minutes when Jackson made the initial break and then scored from a quick tap penalty from five metres out.

Sudbury were now enjoying more possession but the Woodbridge defence was still holding and the Blues had to work for every metre gained and at every breakdown.

Ben Stanton, the winning try scorer against Cantabrigian, scored under the posts to give Summers an easy kick for the extra two points 16 minutes in.

Ten minutes later, Will Levett broke the tackle and made a great solo run from halfway to score under the posts and give Summers a second easy kick.

Sudbury crossed the line again, but were held up and Woodbridge successfully defended the ensuing five scrum and there was no further score in what was a well contested game of rugby.