White Horse gallop ahead in cup comp

EDWARDSTONE White Horse may have been the wooden spoonists in the Industrial Electrical Services Sudbury and District League, but they are certainly out to make their presence felt in the Knockout Cup.

Making a dream start by taking the first doubles in their first leg second round match at home to the Brewery Tap, they followed this up with Matt Robinson beating Pat Parmenter.

In the doubles luck went the way of the Horse as Pete Lillie missed the opportunity of a last ball 200, which allowed the hosts to take a 3-0 lead. But Lillie provided inspiration as he convincingly beat Tom Norton 2150-630.

Andy Garvin secured the match win on the night and Horse captain Jimmy Robinson made it 5-1.

The final game was between Becky Biggs and Terry Parker, and in a very close contest Biggs got the upper hand, but not before worrying her team-mates.

With two balls left, one flew back off the back cushion into the 200 hole, and then the final ball ended up close to the black peg, having spun out of the 10 hole. Holding a 6-1 lead, the White Horse must be confident.

Another resounding victory came for Saracens who played hosts to Edwardstone Wild Horses. The home side won both doubles and Dick Cheshire extended the advantage by top scoring against Marge Rose.

Saracen’s captain, Ken Drake, then made sure that his team took a lead into the second leg, beating Paul Rose.

Rob Cansdale went down 1330-1300 to Chip Millins, and Ian Furlonger made it 6-0, narrowly edging out Tracy Reeve 800-780. The whitewash was completed by Mick Andrews and this leaves the Edwardstone team requiring a comeback of miracle proportions.

Possibly the tie of the round was at Hadleigh Eight Bells where Bay Horse were the visitors. When John Raine scored a break of 1120 in the opening doubles it was enough to give his side an early lead, but this was soon cancelled out by Alasdair Carnegie and Dave Howard in the following game.

The first singles proved a high calibre game, and despite Paul Leathers putting a 600 break together, a last-ball 200 by Alasdair Carnegie secured a 1500-1470 victory.

The match was soon all square again with John Raine beating Danny Crosbie. Bells’ Graham Rolfe came out on top of a tactical battle with Ricky Cleave with a a last-ball 200.

The penultimate game saw Steve Hale lose an 1800 score when black-pegging late in the game against Charlie Townsend but, unperturbed, he immediately scored a 1000 break on his next visit to the table to make the score 3-3.

The deciding game matched Melvin Tilbury against Dave Howard and in another enthralling encounter Dave scored yet another last-ball 200 after his opponent had failed to sink it to give his team an impressive 4-3 victory.

The remaining tie of the round saw Stanningfield Red House record a good 4-3 win at The Thatchers Arms.

If captains have not already advised the secretary the name of Landlords/Landladies and Ladies entering their respective Knockouts at Cornard Five Bells next week, can they do so promptly.