Sudbury too strong for lowly Campion

ON THE MOVE: Try scorer Matt Johnson is well backed up by his team-mates as he ventures forward during Saturday's win over Campion.
ON THE MOVE: Try scorer Matt Johnson is well backed up by his team-mates as he ventures forward during Saturday's win over Campion.


Sudbury 36 Campion 5

SUDBURY gained another convincing home win on Saturday against bottom-of-the-table Campion.

They made the most of the possession they commanded and threw the ball about the park to great effect, despite Campion never giving up.

Playing up the hill in the first half, Sudbury were soon into their stride and secured a penalty in the first two minutes of play which was missed.

Sudbury remained in the visitors’ half and crossed the line from a scrum but it was held up. But from the five scrum Sudbury moved the ball to the centre of the park and then out to the right for Matt Johnson to score after eight minutes.

From the restart Sudbury collected the ball and ran straight back at the opposition. Ben Savory and Matt Chambers made the initial break to put Charlie Jackson into space to score.

Campion had been denied any effective possession from the start and with a move involving most of the team, Sudbury scored their third try with Jackson again finishing.

Against the run of play, a kick ahead from Campion put them behind the Sudbury defence to score just before half-time.

Playing down the hill Sudbury had a quiet first 10 minutes in the second half, giving the visitors some rare time in the Blues’ half.

Sudbury got back into their stride and Tom Summers was next to cross the line, put into space by some snappy passing and he was able to run round behind the posts to make an easy kick for himself.

Summers got his second when he took first phase ball from a lineout, broke a couple of tackles and crossed to score and convert.

Campion then had their best period of the game with a big effort to get some points on the board and managed to stay in the Sudbury 22 for some five minutes. But the Blues defence held firm and eventually the pressure was eased with a long kick down field.

Campion were obviously tiring and constantly asked the referee how long to go for the final 10 minutes.

Sudbury finished in style when replacement standoff Peter Dedross scored his first senior try when the ball popped out of the ruck on the Campion side and ran loose; he pounced on it to run in from 10 metres out.

Man of the match: Bart Minter worked hard at every breakdown to secure the ball, allowing the backs the space to run.

n Saturday sees a tough game against Colchester in the Suffolk Cup at Whittome Field (3pm) while the under-16s travel to Colchester on Sunday for the decider of their Suffolk Cup competition (11am).