Sudbury continue winning streak



Sudbury 2 Gorleston 0

HAVING beaten the second and third-placed teams in the preceding weeks, Sudbury avoided a potential banana skin trip to a Gorleston team lying third bottom in the league.

The first 25 minutes were devoid of quality, but Sudbury’s defence of Sam Humphreys, Kev Monk, and Gav Underhay were their usual solid selves and when called upon Chris Smith made some good saves.

Sudbury finally started to play themselves into the game through excellent work from the two wingers, Brendan Mayers and Edd Griffiths.

From a run along the baseline, Mayers won a short corner after inducing a foul in the D. Bevan beat the onrushing defender and with the goal at his mercy drilled the ball passed the keeper and on to the post.

From a short corner two minutes later, Bevan controlled the ball on the top of the D before hitting at Ed Burton, who knocked it past the keeper.

Sudbury controlled the game slightly better in the second half but it still wasn’t particularly pretty to watch.

Midway through the half, Burton took himself off and Stuart Kevis came on.

His impact was almost immediate when he received the ball on the right of the D, after great work from Nick Keefe, and then drilled across the face of the goal.

Unfortunately no-one was on hand to apply the finishing touch.

Moments later, Kev Monk clattered someone and received a yellow card and Kevis stepped into the centre-back position to cover the missing man.

After Monk’s re-introduction, Sudbury doubled their lead. Keefe and Chris Clubb combined well down the left before feeding Griffiths who had made a super little run.

Griffiths returned the ball to Keefe who slotted calmly passed the keeper from the top of the D.

Before the end there was time for Gorleston to win a penalty flick, but the ball sailed wide of the post to leave the final score 2-0.

Not a vintage performance but a good result considering the circumstances and a result which secured Sudbury’s sixth consecutive win.