Saracens charging towards title

Latest sport news from the Suffolk Free Press,, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
Latest sport news from the Suffolk Free Press,, @sfpsudbury on Twitter

The Saracens maintained their relentless charge to the Industrial Electrical Services Sudbury and District Bar Billiards League title with their third consecutive 6-1 victory when visiting the Thatchers Arms.

Their only hiccup came when home pair Bill Rhodes and Jon Dean won the opening doubles.

From then on, the visitors dominated — Dick Cheshire made a break of 1170 in a total of 2440 in the first singles and wins from Nick Cheshire, Ian Furlonger, Ken Drake and Chip Millins completed another convincing victory.

Bay Horse A are hanging on to the coattails of the Saracens and travelled to play Mill Green Pirates.

After sharing the doubles, Dave Lillie put the Horse in front, but Jimmy Robinson cancelled this out with the highest score of the evening, 1810.

The visitors took control of the match with Alasdair Carnegie, Colin Norledge and Jason Lawrence all winning to make the final score 5-2.

Edwardstone Wild Horses may have had their title hopes dented the previous week, but put that behind them when they were the guests of Stanningfield Red House.

The Horses won both doubles, but the match was turned on its head with wins by Neil Thompson, Matt Leeks and Lee Harman, who scored 1770 — including a break of 1060 — to give the home side a 3-2 lead.

The visitors, however, stirred themselves into action and won the two remaining games courtesy of Tracy Reeve and Doedy Munson.

Mauldons Adders entertained Hadleigh Eight Bells and found themselves trailing after two close doubles.

David Stiff increased the Bells’ advantage in a nip-and-tuck battle with Nathan Cole-Watts before Melvin Tilbury wrapped up the points for his team.

Chris Cass reduced the arrears in the next game, but Graham Rolfe made it 5-1 with a 1240-1220 win.

Making sure he sunk the last ball gave Dennis Watts victory for a 5-2 final score.

A mid-table clash took place at the Bay Horse where the B side hosted Memphis Belles.

The doubles were halved before Tom Arbon repeated his earlier doubles form to put the home team ahead.

This was extended by Chris Drake, who got almost half his score of 2260 in one break.

The match was won in the following game as big guns Chris Day and Luke Cole-Watts went head-to-head, with the former prevailing 1660-1440.

Alan Giles and Andy Hill brought some respectability to the final score by winning the final two games.

The Five Bells and Brewery Tap clashed at the Cornard venue where it was soon evident that a close encounter was in store.

The doubles were shared before Stephen Theobald gave the Bells the lead, only for Pete Lillie to level.

A last-ball 200 by Malcolm Groome again put the hosts in front and this time it was followed by a good Trevor Goff win to ensure the points were won.

Charlie Sansum won the final game for the visitors to make it 4-3.