Riders bogged down in quarry’s mud pit

Action from Sudbury Motorcycle Club's event at Foxborough Quarry.
Action from Sudbury Motorcycle Club's event at Foxborough Quarry.

SUNDAY saw the fourth round of the EMG/Kia Eastern Centre Solo Enduro Championships organised the Sudbury Motor Cycle Club at Foxborough Quarry, Sible Hedingham.

Conditions were perfect for the three closely-fought classes, with a clear blue sky, sun and a cool breeze in the morning.

First up for the Hare and Hounds event was the clubman class with 77 riders on taking part in two hours of non-stop riding.

Along the starting straight, a rider nudged Ed Kerridge’s handlebars, causing his machine to veer into another rider. Kerridge, had to be treated by paramedics for a long cut on his back.

The four-lap scorers were taken to task as the riders completed their first lap as the track was funnelled into single file by the finishing line and they coped magnificently.

At the end of the two hours, first over the winning line was current Clubman Contest leader Nicholas Barrett, followed by Luke Hodgkinson and Dan Richardson, all completing 13 laps. Overall, Barrett has extended his lead to seven points, Hodgkinson moves up to second with Richardson now third.

In the championship and experts classes, more than 40 riders were on the starting line and when the flag went up there was a good clean start and only one rider, Tom Braddock, went through the ropes at the top of the first hill.

The course this time included the second bog, which had been specially prepared by the Roper brothers.

At the end of the first lap, 2010 champion Chris Hockey was in the lead, but after two more laps he came into the pits having brake trouble.

This pit stop enabled current championship leader Jamie Roper to take over the lead, which he held for the next 90 minutes and Hockey gradually climbed back into second place.

Roper had a disastrous pit stop when he refuelled. He took a minute longer than Hockey’s two pit stops, which resulted in Roper losing his 40-second lead over Hockey and, try as he may, Roper could not pull back the time he lost.

The second bog was very muddy with riders getting stuck and with the army of six to eight marshals pulling them through.

Clerk of the course, club chairman Gavin Hockey, appeared on the scene and got stuck in with the other marshals helping the riders. With two hours gone, a decision was made to cut the bog out and open up a diversion route for the last 30 minutes.

The race finished with Chris Hockey first, Jamie Roper second and Julian Harvey third. Overall, Roper still leads the contest from Hockey by three points followed by Harvey 25 points adrift.

The expert class was won by Aaron Edwards with Kelvin Vant second and Phil Maltby third. Overall, Vant increases his lead to three points with Edwards now second and Maltby dropping down to third.