Poor showing for Sudbury in year’s final league game

A Sudbury player latches on to stop a Harlow drive during Saturday's game''Picture: Harlow Star
A Sudbury player latches on to stop a Harlow drive during Saturday's game''Picture: Harlow Star



Harlow 37 Sudbury 18

Sudbury travelled to Harlow for their last league game of the year and it was not their best performance of the campaign.

Harlow had a poor start to the season but are now on a winning streak and outplayed Sudbury to continue their rise through the league table.

The Essex side scored with less than two minutes on the clock. Paul Mathers reduced the deficit six minutes in with a well struck penalty but the Harlow pack created a good platform when they opted for a five metre penalty scrum. A quick ball to the backs allowed the number 11 to run through a gaping hole and score under the posts.

Harlow stretched their lead with a penalty halfway through the period but Sudbury struck back with a try by Shaun Smith on the half-hour. Sudbury had kicked to touch for a penalty lineout close to the 22 and a slick backs move put Smith over in the far corner. Harlow then scored a try and a penalty to finish the half 22-8 up.

In the second half, the hosts were playing up the hill and into the elements but after two minutes were awarded a penalty. The ball bounced off the post and the home side pounced on the loose ball to score.

With their noses well in front, Harlow slowed the game down and used their forwards to contain the play.

After 25 minutes they scored again from a five-metre scrum but it was Sudbury who were to finish the game with a flourish with the backs putting a move together from a tap penalty to put Paul Chaplin clear.

Another penalty given away by Harlow allowed another quick tap to put Smith clear for his second try to bring the game to a close and end a poor day for Sudbury.

This week, Sudbury travel to Southwold for a Suffolk Cup match which will be another tough game as Southwold are one of Suffolk’s up-and-coming clubs.