Injuries take their toll as Sudbury beaten by leaders

NO WAY THROUGH: Match action from Sudbury's 53-7 defeat to Campion
NO WAY THROUGH: Match action from Sudbury's 53-7 defeat to Campion

LONDON THREE NORTH EAST: Sudbury 7 Campion 53

Sudbury slipped to a second successive league defeat after being comprehensively beaten by London Three North East table-toppers Campion.

From the kick-off there were four quick scrummages which showed the power in the pack of Campion, but Sudbury won their own ball even when pushed backwards.

In the third minute, Chris Whybrow suffered a knee injury, leaving the Sudbury pack depleted and struggling.

Both teams showed good defence in the early stages and the first quarter the game was played out in the centre of the park.

Sudbury suffered another blow shortly after when prop Sam Cunning trapped a nerve in his neck and the hosts had to call on second-team captain Paul Mather from the other pitch to replace him.

Campion scored from a penalty lineout on the Sudbury five-metre line and rolled the maul to score a converted try after 20 minutes of play. From the restart they ran straight back deep into the Sudbury half and touched down, extending their lead.

Sudbury were doing their best to contain the opposition but Campion struck again on the half-hour-mark when they ran from the back of the maul just outside the 22.

The visitors’ dominance continued and, in the last 10 minutes of the half, Campion took control and scored again to finish the half with a 24-point advantage.

The momentum carried over into the restart as Campion scored within the first couple of minutes of the half before Sudbury suffered another injury and, having already used all their replacements, were reduced to 14 men.

Tom Summers reduced the deficit, scoring under the posts following a well-worked move as the home side looked to pour forward.

Sudbury were enjoying greater possession, but with reduced numbers they began to tire as Campion regained control of the final stages.

Towards the end of the game, tiredness and frustration in the Sudbury team led to another being sinbinned for the last five minutes, reducing the head count to 13 and leaving Campion to play out the final moments of the match and seal victory.

Third-placed Sudbury will look to get back to winning ways when they travel to Wisbech on Saturday (2.30pm).