Historic promotion for the under-15s

PROMOTION PARTY: Sudbury Under-15s celebrate the club's first top league junior promotion in 87 years.
PROMOTION PARTY: Sudbury Under-15s celebrate the club's first top league junior promotion in 87 years.


Sudbury 15 Chingford 14

SUDBURY made it into the top flight of the Essex Youth League with this win – the first time in the club’s history one of its junior teams has done so.

Sudbury went into the game knowing that only a win would get them promoted to Division One, making the atmosphere in the changing room extremely tense.

Captain Henry Cowling dropped down with the ball to put Sudbury on the scoreboard.

Some outstanding forward play allowed George Jackson to finish to make the score 10-7 to Sudbury but poor defence saw Chingford four points ahead at the break.

In the second half Ethan Stagg scooped up the ball and sprinted for the line to score the winning try.

The side’s promotion was testament to the work of the coaches, Alex Pears, John Cowling and Paul Williams.


Wymondham 0 Sudbury 25

Wymondham 0 Sudbury 30

Wymondham 5 Sudbury 20

SUDBURY travelled back to Norfolk and won all three matches against Wymondham.

Powerful play from all the team was reflected in the scoreline.

There was a hat-trick from Joel Rathbone, fast runs gave winger JJ two tries, Sam Delgaty, Luke Townsend, Eddie Brett and Louise Alexander all scored but the day went to Jay Waller who scored four tries across the three matches.

Waller was forward of the day, the title of back of the day being given to Ollie Jones, who played some great rugby and led the team from the front with some great tackling.

Hadleigh 1 Colchester A 4

Hadleigh 1 Colchester B 3

Hadleigh 1 Vicenza 2

MORE used to battling against sides from Suffolk and Essex, Hadleigh took part in an Italian adventure at Colchester RUFC as they enjoyed a three-way tournament against two Colchester sides and the visiting Italian side, Vicenza.

Up against the much larger Colchester club, Hadleigh scored through Andrew Halls and Matt Morris.

Tiring a little by the time they took on the Italians, Hadleigh found the expected dominance of their much larger forwards nullified by the tournament rule that scrums would go uncontested, in acknowledgement of the different junior rugby rules of the Italians.

Although smaller in stature across the park, the Italian visitors showed a swift turn of pace across the back-line, and despite a very close game and a breakaway try by Louis Breyer, Hadleigh narrowly lost.


Sudbury 2 Wymondham Reds 3

Sudbury 2 Wymondham Yellows 2

Sudbury 2 Wymondham Reds 2

Sudbury 2 Wymondham Yellows 2

Sudbury Reds 1 Wymondham Reds 0

Sudbury 3 Wymondham Yellows 1

JUST one Sudbury team made the long journey to wind-swept Wymondham and as ever Sudbury started slowly.

They drew level with two Leo Sarbutts tries but Wymondham won the first game at the death.

Charlie Richardson got Sudbury rolling in the second match but some inconsistent tagging let the opposition in twice before Kyran Trevan’s incisive run levelled the scores.

Ezra Roper and Leo Sarbutts scored in the third but it was Wymondham who finished the stronger.

Sudbury started game four strongly and an early Charlie Richardson try was well deserved. Leo Sarbutts popped up like a jack-in-a-box for Sudbury’s second but Wymondham again equalised at the death.

It took till the fifth match, but finally Sudbury notched a win thanks to a Jack Christie’s effort in the opening moments, and a resolute defence.

Two early tries from Evan Brown and Gilbert Keitley-Webb gave Sudbury the perfect start in the final game and Jack Christie sealed victory with the last try of the day.