Clash of the Bells sees Groome hand Cornard victory

Latest sport news from the Suffolk Free Press,, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
Latest sport news from the Suffolk Free Press,, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
Share this article

It was a good week for most teams in the lower regions of the Industrial Electrical Services Sudbury and District Bar Billiard League.

A clash of the Bells took place at Cornard where the Five Bells entertained Hadleigh Eight Bells.

The hosts started well with two narrow doubles wins which installed confidence into their ranks, and although Charlie Townsend won the opening singles for the visitors it was to prove their only success of the evening.

Stephen Theobald, with a break of 810, saw off his opponent and Trevor Goff then made it 4-1.

A successful second attempt at a last ball 200 by Mick Broughton increased the lead and Malcolm Groome gave his team an emphatic 6-1 victory.

The Thatchers Arms have been rooted to the bottom of the league for longer than they would wish and were looking for a change of luck when hosting the Memphis Belles.

They made a flying start taking both doubles and Jon Dean scored an impressive 1580 in the first singles to open up a 3-0 lead.

Hopes were now high of achieving their second victory of the season and Victoria Cook didn’t disappoint with a 1010-650 win. Luke Cole-Watts pulled one back with a good 2260 score that included a 1010 break.

The Thatchers appeared to take their foot off the gas as Max Berger and Alan Giles made the final score 4-3.

The Mauldons Adders travelled to take on the Mill Green Pirates and came away with an excellent victory.

Two very close doubles were shared before James Pipe got the Pirates in front. Adrian Fielding won 1030-980 to level the scores before Dennis Watts gave the Adders the lead.

Chris Cass proved the match winner for the visitors in the penultimate game with Matt Robinson reducing the arrears in the final game making the final score 4-3.

In recent weeks The Bay Horse B have been slowly moving up the league and were the guests of Stanningfield Red House.

After halving the doubles Neil Thompson gave the Red House a 2-1 lead which was immediately cancelled out with a 1740-560 win by Chris Day.

The visitors then edged ahead with a narrow Chris Drake win, 1140-1040.

Lee Harman then took the match to a last game decider where visiting Terry Parsons came out on top 940-870 against Kevin Tobin to give his team an outstanding 4-3 away win.

The Brewery Tap were the only lowly side not to gain any points but came mighty close to upsetting title challenging Edwardstone Wild Horses.

With it all even after the doubles, Doedy Munson reversed an earlier captain’s defeat against Del Atton to get the Horses in front.

This lead was short lived as first Pete Lillie and then Brett Parker put the Tap 3-2 up.

Melvyn Willis top scored in the next to take it to a decider. This paired Pat Parmenter with Tracy Reeve with the former missing two attempts at a last ball 200 which would have given him a draw and the match the same outcome.