Bells ring the changes

Share this article

Cornard Five Bells climbed off the bottom of the Industrial Electrical Services Sudbury and District Bar Billiards League with an emphatic 5-2 victory away to the Mill Green Pirates.

After narrowly winning the first doubles, the visitors soon doubled their advantage, before Stephen Theobald made it 3-0 to belie his team’s lowly position.

Andy Garvin stopped the rot, pulling one back for the Pirates, but it was all over as a contest in the next as Dean Walton beat Becky Biggs 1060-820.

The final two games were shared, giving the Five Bells their first away win of the season.

The other team at the foot of the table are the Bay Horse B, who travelled to Stanningfield Red House.

Both doubles went the way of the hosts, although the second one was only won by the narrow margin of 20 points.

Tom Arbon halved the arrears only for Neil Thompson to regain the two-game lead for the hosts.

A close 890-680 win by Kevin Tobin sealed a win for the Red House, but the performance of the night saw Chris Day amass 2250 in the penultimate game with Red House captain Lee Harman winning the last to make it 5-2.

At the top of the table, leaders Bay Horse A hosted the experienced Saracens and both teams had to be content sharing the doubles.

A rather subdued Steve Hale edged home against Nick Cheshire and Colin Norledge top scored with 1840 to make it 3-1 to the Horse.

Chip Millins reduced the deficit, but good wins from Alasdair Carnegie and Danny Crosbie gave the table-toppers a 5-2 victory.

Hadleigh Eight Bells entertained Brewery Tap and were soon in command, taking both doubles.

Those wins were followed by single victories by John Raine, Graham Rolfe and Melvin Tilbury with the latter reversing an earlier Captain’s Cup defeat against Del Atton, winning 2730-680.

Tap’s Pat Parmenter made sure a whitewash didn’t occur as he recorded a 1280-1120 win against David Stiff that included a 680 break.

A final game win by Charlie Townsend made the score 6-1.

A recently-rejuvenated Edwardstone Wild Horses travelled across the county to the Thatcher’s Arms and eased into a 2-0 lead.

This lead was increased by Doedy Munson and then Melvyn Willis beat Bernie Furness-Smith 1460-1360 in the closest game of the evening to ensure the Horses returned with the points.

Marge Rose made it 5-0 before the hosts responded with wins from Bill Rhodes and Trevor Parrot.