Adders subtract Saracens

It was a good week for the mid-table sides in the Industrial Electrical Services Sudbury and District Bar Billiard League.

Mauldons Adders travelled to fourth-placed Saracens and although they lost the opening doubles, a narrow 1510-1480 win in the second levelled the score.

Paul Gooch continued his good doubles form when beating Chip Millins to nudge the visitors ahead, but Ian Furlonger responded well to make it 2-2.

From this point onwards, the Adders dominated and wins by Kevin Patrick, Luke Cole-Watts and Dennis Watts gave them a convincing 5-2 victory.

The Brewery Tap hosted title-chasing Stanningfield Red House with the visitors winning both doubles, but were indebted to Bob Atkinson scoring a last-ball 200 in the opening game to gain a 1110-920 win. Pete Lillie then halved the deficit with a top-scoring 1930.

Red House captain Lee Harman put his side 3-1 up and they looked as if they were on their way to another two points but had not accounted for their hosts’ ability to fight back.

Wins by Charlie Sansum, Dave Lillie and Del Atton pulled the match round for the Tap to gain a 4-3 victory.

The Thatcher’s Arms entertained third-placed Hadleigh Eight Bells and after the doubles were shared David Stiff gave the visitors the advantage.

The hosts upped their game and Richard Sayles made the score all square, followed by Bill Rhodes scoring a 1000 break in his 1320-540 win.

Scott Pitts made sure of a Thatcher’s win with breaks of 650 and 770 in a total of 2000.

The final score was 4-3 as Graham Rolfe compiled a 1320 break to beat Trevor Parrot.

Bottom-placed Bay Horse B played host to their table-topping rivals Bay Horse A and it was the league leaders who raced into a 2-0 lead, which soon increased as Alasdair Carnegie scored 2700, but this didn’t compare to the 4360 he amassed in the earlier captains game.

Chris Drake got the B team back into contention with breaks of 1340 and 1350 in a 3020 total.

The match was over as a contest when Danny Crosbie wrapped up the points for the A team, but their opponents rallied in the two remaining games with wins from Michael Andrews and Chris Day.

Due to illness the remaining match between Edwardstone Wild Horses and Cornard Five Bells was cancelled.