Home   Sport   Article

MATCH REPORT: AFC Sudbury get promotion challenge back on track

By Court reporter

Wayne Blackman, AFC Sudbury
Wayne Blackman, AFC Sudbury


AFC Sudbury kept their promotion challenge on track by getting back to winning ways with a comfortable 2-0 victory over visiting Haringey Borough on Saturday.

Following a 5-1 defeat against Thurrock and a 1-1 draw with Heybridge Swifts in their last games, the Yellows got back on track courtesy of a goal in each half from Liam Wales and Luke Callander.

The home side got off to the brighter start and should have broke the deadlock after seven minutes but Stefano Mallardo could not capitalise at the back post, lashing wildly over.

And he was almost left to rue his miss even further just three minutes later as Borough’s Daniel Ailey saw his header come back off the post, much to Sudbury’s relief.

The match continued to be end-to-end with Callander firing over from the edge of the area after 13 minutes, while at the other end, Saleem Masri called Luis Tibbles into action to tip his volley from inside the area round the post.

Further chances came and went for the home side with Wales firing over on two occasions when well placed while Jordan Blackwell also saw a long range effort well saved by Ashley Harris.

However, just as the half appeared to be ending goalless, Sudbury snatched the lead with a little helping hand from the Borough custodian.

Harris initially did well to get a hand to Craig Parker’s curling free-kick but he could only push the ball as far as the on-rushing Wales who had the simple task of firing in from close range.

That momentum continued over into the second half as the hosts double their advantage just three minutes after the re-start.

Promising youngsters Blackwell and Wayne Blackman combined brilliantly down the left-hand side with the latter’s perfectly weighted floated cross presenting Callander with the simplest of finishes from close range.

The remainder of the half saw chances at a premium as Sudbury appeared content to keep possession and their two-goal lead intact.

However, they did come closest to finding a further breakthrough with 10 minutes remaining but Ryan Henshaw saw his header well saved before Craig Parker had two efforts both cleared off the line as the Yellows sealed all three points.

AFC Sudbury: Tibbles, Robinson, Mallardo, Blackman (McNicholas 85), Henshaw, Baker, Wales, Clarke (Berquez 68), Callander (Bailey 68), Parker, Blackwell.

Free Press man of the match: Wayne Blackman.

* For a post-match video interview log back on to this website from 1pm Monday, while you can read an interview with striker Luke Callander in Thursday’s Suffolk Free Press print edition.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More