Youth football round-up

NO WAY THROUGH: Sudbury Blues Under-8s clear the danger against Bury Town Colts in the festival at Moreton Hall on Sunday, which included five teams in five-a-side format as part of a new Football Association initiative.
NO WAY THROUGH: Sudbury Blues Under-8s clear the danger against Bury Town Colts in the festival at Moreton Hall on Sunday, which included five teams in five-a-side format as part of a new Football Association initiative.
Share this article



Bures United 3 Cornard Dynamos Blues 6

In a thrilling cup derby Dynamos fought their way back from 3-1 to take the win at Bures.

A tough first half saw Bures take the lead before Jack Housden got the equaliser but Bures regained the lead.

Early in the second half Bures got their third but Cornard showed great character to get back into the game.

Ryan McNicholas got Dynamos’ second and a confidently taken penalty by Samuel Mills then got them back on terms as Dynamos took control of the game.

Thomas Baker saw the Bures goalie out of position and calmly made it 4-3.

Not long after, Tommy Robinson made it 5-3 and for the sixth goal Mills took the ball past two Bures defenders and fired home.

Player of the match: Jack Housden.

Wivenhoe Youth Reds 2 Cornard Dynamos Reds 3

Having made a strong start, Dynamos let Wivenhoe back in the game in the second half but ultimately got the winner to see them through to the next round of the league cup.

Cornard dominated the first 20 minutes of the game and Tyler Baker opened the scoring with a well executed shot.

Jack Martin-Halls doubled the lead, out-jumping everyone to head home decisively from a corner.

Wivenhoe rallied in the second half and scored two goals on the break.

However, it was Cornard who scored the winner in the final 10 minutes, when Tom Shuttlewood shot high into the net to set up a third round tie against Dynamos Blues.

Player of the match: Callum Smith.


Holland FC Blues 3 Cornard Dynamos Blues 1

Cornard lost out in this game to a very useful looking Holland FC who passed the ball about the pitch well.

The dominant home side scoring after 20 minutes to take a 1-0 lead into half-time.

The second half was more even and Cornard were back on terms when a Jake Murphy free-kick skidded through the home keeper’s legs to equalise.

A controversial overturned offside decision then gave the home side a 2-1 lead and a disputed penalty made it 3-1.

Oyster Youth 0 Long Melford Colts 8

In what proved to be a one-sided affair, Melford produced their best team performance of the season, displaying some good passing and movement.

Mihal Rudzinski started the scoring 10 minutes in, capitalising on the Oyster keeper’s fumble, and he scored his second four minutes later to finish a good Melford move.

Freddie McCracken finished a one-on-one to make it 3-0 and Zinzan Forster’s close range finish brought the fourth.

McCracken scored once more at the end of a devastating 14-minute period to effectively end the game.

In the second half Edward Murray got his name on the scoresheet, Forster scored his second, and McCracken got his hat-trick, with the Melford defence largely untroubled.


AFC Sudbury 1 Honington Foxes Oranges 1

A solid second-half performance from the defence meant Sudbury were able to hold on for a draw.

After hard battling from all, Honington were broken by the midfield of Liam Gardiner, Taane Forster and Noah Clayton. Vinnie Young made a break down the left, crossing the ball to Trent New who placed it into the back of the net.

Honington kept their heads up and equalised shortly after.

In the second half Sudbury piled on the pressure but could not create anything from it, with Honington also getting nothing from the AFC defence.

Player of the match: Max Selfridge.


Cornard Dynamos 3 Wivenhoe Town 2

Dynamos came from behind in a five-goal thirller at home to a stubborn Wivenhoe side.

Just before the break Dynamos snatched the lead, Alfie Haygreen’s corner going in via the keeper.

The second half was an end-to-end affair in which Wivenhoe began strongly and scored twice in quick succession.

Dynamos responded well though and after sustained pressure they equalised through Mills, before Haygreen’s shot squirmed in for what was the winner.

Wivenhoe applied some late pressure but Lewis Miller and Johhny Ogle defended manfully to safeguard the points.

Cornard Dynamos Reds 4 Wivenhoe Reds 2

Cornard finished deserved 4-2 winners helped by an impressive hat-trick from their striker Jack Ingram in a strong all-round team performance.

It took a strong Ingram finish from a slick cross from Lewi Davis to get Cornard’s opening goal.

With Cornard strong on the counter-attack, impressive passes from Leon Warner and Maxi Webster-Coles set up Ingram’s remaining goals to secure his hat-trick.

Wivenhoe bounced back with two goals in quick succession putting Cornard under pressure in the closing stages although Davis sealed the three points with a great strike.