Youth football - Reds’ two-goal lead pulled back for draw

Our latest comprehensive round-up of the youth football scene.



Brightlingsea 2

AFC Sudbury Reds 2

THE visitors from Sudbury flew into a two-goal lead, but were made to pay as the home side stepped up through the gears to come from behind to level.

Alex Woodward worked well on the wing and a pass from Jacob Gilbert found Ben Cox in good position to strike home Sudbury’s first goal.

Peter Shipley was called upon at the back and keeper Theo Kurtz made safe any attacks.

Alf Powell got stuck in and Cox just put wide his fine pass. Cox got another chance and made it 2-0 to the visitors.

The second half started with Sudbury pushing up and Woodward, Thomas Drayton and Powell working hard to get another goal but they could not get past the defence.

Brightlingsea got two back but determined play from Sudbury kept the score even until the final whistle.

Man of the match: Alf Powell


Silver End 1

Long Melford 6

IN THIS dominant all-round team performance, Melford took the lead after only 10 seconds when Chilli Wolf calmly slotted home.

From then on Melford were in the driving seat and Silver End barely got out of their half.

Jack Housden and Tyler French both netted before Wolf crowned a dominant first half Melford performance with his second.

After the break a great pass from Kai Reynolds set up Adam Crawford and his shot was rewarded with goal five.

Silver End got a goal back but Melford soon increased the lead again when after a goalmouth scramble Tom Gibson scored a well deserved goal.


Little Oakley 10

Long Melford Colts 3

MELFORD’s cup run came to an end with this heavy defeat.

They started this Colchester Open Cup quarter-final match very brightly, creating some chances, but Oakley scored first and added two more before Freddie McCracken got one back for the Colts.

The home side added three more to go into the interval with a 6-1 lead.

Within a minute of the restart Oakley went further ahead and halfway through the second half extended their lead to 8-1. Shortly after George Ince-Slater headed in from a free-kick to make it 8-2, before Oakley scored again to take a 9-2 lead.

Joe Skillicorn added another goal for Melford, but Oakley had the last word.

AFC Sudbury 4

Holland Reds 2

AFC started the brighter and after some good pressure took the lead through Lewis Rolph from a Daniel Fox free-kick.

Holland started to come back but AFC broke on the counter-attack with James Turkentine running the ball in and passing to Ethan Joyce to slot home.

After the break AFC went to sleep and conceded a sloppy goal which gave Holland a lift.

It proved short-lived, as shortly after, a Holland player handballed in the box; Fox took the penalty and made it 3-1 to AFC.

Holland came back again but with 10 minutes to go AFC got their fourth through Connor Avery.

The win meant AFC finished in fifth place in their first season in the A League.

Player of the match: Archie Nicholls


Brightlingsea 2

AFC Sudbury Blues 1

WITH no substitutes AFC knew this would be a hard game.

Brightlingsea took the lead when they converted a corner, but stand-in keeper Alfie Gittings redeemed himself with a couple of great saves.

The second half started with Sudbury moving Jack Dyble into goal and Gittings onto the pitch.

Brightlingsea managed to pick up the counter and scored to put themselves two up.

Sudbury saw this as a red rag to a bull and threw themselves into the game, pushing up hard and fast into the home side’s goalmouth and in the end Lavelle managed to bury the ball into the net.

Player of the match: Eloise King