Strong performance returns AFC to winning ways

Share this article



Cheshunt 1 AFC Sudbury 4

AFTER back-to-back league defeats AFC got back to winning ways on Saturday.

They came from behind with four second-half goals to take the points against the Hertfordshire side who finished the match with nine men.

Manager Chris Tracey was forced to make two changes from the side that lost out on penalties in the midweek League Cup match at Lewes.

With Rhys Darg injured and Ashley Sloots unavailable, James Smith and Michael Shinn returned to the starting 11.

Defences dominated the early play, although AFC looked the more threatening, and they were awarded a penalty after 21 minutes when James Baker was fouled by home keeper Glenn Williamson. The keeper escaped any cards, and then dived to his right to save the spot kick which Baker took himself.

Seven minutes later Cheshunt took the lead against the run of play when Tyrone Scarlett latched on to a poor clearance and scored with an unstoppable shot from the edge of the area.

Cheshunt were reduced to 10 men after 28 minutes when Jordan Lumsden was red-carded when he retaliated after being fouled by Baker on halfway.

Six minutes before the break Williamson preserved Cheshunt’s half-time lead when he went full length to keep out a rasping drive from Shinn.

After a somewhat dour first half, AFC looked much sharper after the break, and they were on terms two minutes after the restart when a fine move found the overlapping Jemel Fox unmarked at the far post. Although Williamson blocked the first effort Fox netted the rebound.

Sudbury were now making their numerical advantage count, and they took the lead after 54 minutes when Baker made amends for his first-half penalty miss when he beat his marker to score with a fine finish.

Eight minutes later, Sudbury were awarded a second penalty when Cheshunt defender Jimmie Berry handled Smith’s goal-bound header on the line from a right-wing corner. Berry was red carded and this time Baker converted the spot kick to increase Sudbury’s lead.

Danny Emmanuel had caused the home defence problems with his tricky play throughout the game, and with 12 minutes remaining he wrapped up the scoring with a fine individual goal to seal a comfortable win.

AFC Sudbury: Gay, Dalby, Fox, Shinn, N Clarke, Smith, Howell (Nicoll 68), Henshaw, Baker, Martin (Brown 80), Emmanuel. Unused subs: Devaux, Wareham, B Tracey (gk).

n AFC’s next two fixtures are at home, starting on Saturday when Waltham Forest are the visitors to the MEL Group Stadium (3pm).