Our latest round-up of the youth football scene

MINIS MARVEL: Sudbury (in bibs) take on Stowmarket in the under-7s grassroots tournament held at AFC Sudbury on Sunday.
MINIS MARVEL: Sudbury (in bibs) take on Stowmarket in the under-7s grassroots tournament held at AFC Sudbury on Sunday.



Clare Town Lions 8

Moreton Hall Blacks 2

Clare went top of the league with a convincing victory over Moreton Hall Blacks, with Morgan Waldock opening the scoring early on.

They soon doubled the lead with a Tom Palmer finish.

Moreton Hall were solid at the back and were starting to break forward, and managed to pull one back.

Clare were a constant threat going forward with Palmer adding two more to complete his hat-trick before the break.

Palmer added two more, leaving the keeper no chance.

From a mazy run, Waldock added his second with a finish from a tight angle.

Palmer finished the game with a powerful strike just before the whistle.


Halstead 1 Long Melford 3

Melford grew into this derby to put in a high tempo display supported by strong defence.

The visitors made a nervous start, but began to take control and took the lead when Harry Fryer set up Jake Boyton.

Melford got their second when Joff Anselmi hammered home inside the Halstead box.

Melford made a great start to the second half and an Anselmi corner was cleared only as far as Farthing who curled the ball into the top corner.

This forced Halstead onto the attack but the impressive back four of Bayliss, T Wingfield, Fryer and Spurway dealt with every ball.

Halstead pulled a goal back but Melford took the points to retain third place in the league.


Marks Tey 3

Cornard Dynamos Reds 1

Dynamos started slowly and went a goal down in the first couple of minutes.

They conceded a second before finally kicking in to gear and laid siege to the Marks Tey goal for a 15-minute spell, Chris Britton having a goal ruled out for offside after Tom Shuttlewood unselfishly played him in.

Cornard spurned a few more chances before Lewis Howard hit a 35 yard screamer, the Marks Tey keeper back-pedalling frantically to just tip over.

Tyler Baker took the resulting corner and found Mitchell Gardiner, who deftly headed into the corner of the net to pull it back to 2-1.

The game see-sawed, but Marks Tey restored their two-goal lead.

Player of the match: Jack Petchelco


Cornard Dynamos 4

Brooklands 1

Dynamos made a positive start with Samuel Mills, Tommy Robinson and Jack Housden dominating the play on the right hand side.

Ryan McNicholas put a great ball through to Jack Housden who powerfully shot the ball with his left foot for Cornard’s first goal.

A Jamie Ward corner perfectly found Mills, who headed home Dynamos’ second.

Thomas Baker was rewarded with a super goal which left the Brooklands goalie with no chance.

A lapse in concentration saw Brooklands score a consolation but Dynamos took full control and Jack Housden found Thomas Baker in a great position to score Dynamos’ fourth.

Player of the match: Jamie Ward.


AFC Sudbury 2

Mendlesham 6

This was always going to be a tough match for Sudbury, against opposition, who won their last game 23-0.

The visitors started the strongest and were 0-2 up within the first 10 minutes.

Sudbury started to settle and an excellent goal kick from Jack Purkiss saw it drop for Oscar Gammon, who made it 2-1.

The strength and pace of Mendlesham saw them get two more back before the half.

Sudbury slipped back to 1-5 before Kade Ivatt scored Sudbury’s second, but the visitors still managed to squeeze another in.

Player of the match: Tate Liskuss

Boxford Rovers 5

Long Melford 3

A rusty Melford side found themselves 2-0 down in the opening 15 minutes, but got themselves back into the game.

Keeper Josh Carter made three great saves to keep Melford in the game and Murray Lange got his name on the scoresheet from a penalty.

Melford drew level when George Shaddock scored with a great shot in the box, but were unlucky to go behind just before half-time.

The second half saw Melford start to dominate possession, but they were struggling to find a way through the strong Boxford back four.

Against the run of play, Boxford scored from a cross, and then again after a great run.

Melford kept on pressurising and scored a third goal with a low drive by Ollie King.


Cornard Dynamos Blues 4 Wivenhoe Town 5

Cornard lost out by one goal, which seems to be the way in games they have lost this season.

Luis Berkane netted to put Cornard in front, but the first half seemed to slip by the hosts as Wivenhoe took control and netted four goals when given too much time and space to play.

Wivenhoe went further ahead after the break.

This seemed to spur Cornard on and when Oliver Jacques scored and hit the bar there was only one team in it.

Berkane scored his second goal and when Keiron Deveroux smacked in a stunner to bring the score back to 5-4 a draw looked likely, but time ran out.

Long Melford Colts 3

Colchester Athletic 1

Melford got off to a sluggish start and the visitors looked like they might be the first to score, but Melford defended resolutely.

The Colchester keeper was in fine form and made many saves to deny the Melford attack.

With five minutes left in the first half, Deano Ablitt scored from a penalty kick to give Melford the lead.

Melford had a better second half, with Freddie McCracken scoring from open play after a very good first touch and turn.

Against the run of play, Athletic scored on the break, before George Ince-Slater scored from a penalty and Melford saw the game out.


Sudbury AFC Falcons 1 Stowupland Falcons 2

AFC controlled the first half of the game, but saw their lead slip away in the second.

Alf Powell had a shot saved before James Lavelle powered home a free-kick to put AFC in front.

The Sudbury defence worked well and goalie James McGregor made two great saves.

The visitors started the second half with a renewed determination and AFC were unlucky when Jack Dyble hit the bar from a great ball from Eloise King.

Stowupland upped their game and scored twice and AFC could not get it back to make a draw.

Player of the match: James Lavelle


AFC Sudbury 1

Stowupland Reds 0

This was a well-deserved win for Sudbury, who applied plenty of pressure on the pitch.

Henri Totman and Charlie Matthews took a turn at being up front and Trent New and Ben Munson kept the defence quite solid.

Max Selfridge made a fantastic save from a free-kick to keep the score 0-0 at half-time.

In the second half, Sudbury were the dominant side putting the Stowupland goalie under pressure with Liam Gardiner and Taane Forster having shots at goal.

Nicholas Webber made some great runs into the box and assisted Noah Clayton to make no mistake hitting it into the back of the net just two minutes from time.

Player of the match: Nicholas Webber


Cornard Dynamos Blues 2 Stanway Rovers Blues 4

Dynamos turned in a disappointing performance to crash out of the league cup in the first round.

They began brightly and went ahead when Angus Mills turned in the rebound from Alfie Haygreen’s initial shot.

For the next five minutes they dominated proceedings, but gradually Rovers came more into the game, with two goals before half-time.

Dynamos began the second half strongly, equalising when a Harvey Clare cross was turned into the net via a Rovers defender.

Kai McKnight then went agonisingly close with a free kick.

Rovers took control for the remainder of the match, scoring two further goals, and only some brave and athletic keeping from Ben Mallison kept the scoreline respectable.

Stanway Villa Reds 2

Cornard Dynamos Reds 1

Cornard will feel disappointed not to have won this hard-fought cup match against a strong Stanway side.

Stanway started with a goal early on. Cornard looked lively through the rest of the first half though with some impressive midfield play from Josh Ambrose and Callum Scott, but could not convert their chances.

Cornard started the second half with early pressure but were caught against the run of play to go 2-0 down.

Throwing caution to the wind, Cornard pressed in search of goals and were rewarded with a well-taken goal by Alfie Mansell.

The closing stages were all pressure from Cornard with great shots on goal from Lewi Davis, Leon Warner and Ambrose. However, the equaliser proved elusive.