Melford ease to a derby day victory

FOOTBALL - Long Melford FC v Cornard FC''Pictured: Scott Yearling (C) goes in for a the ball with Jamie Gregory (LM)
FOOTBALL - Long Melford FC v Cornard FC''Pictured: Scott Yearling (C) goes in for a the ball with Jamie Gregory (LM)



Long Melford 3 Cornard Utd 1

PLAYING in front of 152 paying spectators, Melford ran out easy winners in this local derby.

Within 38 seconds the home team were in the lead. Ashley Skeggs played the ball into Martin Westcott who ran into the box. The ball rebounded off diving keeper Lynn running loose to Danny Twyman and the diminutive striker fired the ball into the net from close range.

A minute later and the score was almost doubled when the outstanding Westcott swivelled and shot with Cornard keeper Lynn diving to push the ball round the post.

In a very rare attack at the other end a shot from Pannell grazed the Melford post.

It was now wave after wave of Melford attack. Again Twyman got behind the Cornard defence, his cross finding Kurt Waterfield at the far post, but his volley went just past the post.

The relentless pressure from Melford finally provided a further dividend. After 26 minutes, midfielder Craig Wilson, who had an excellent game, found Martin Westcott with a penalty box ball and the Melford target man dinked the ball over the advancing keeper into the net, a just reward for the hard working front man.

Other than a deflected shot from Beckett at the other end, it was more and more of Melford pouring forward, but unable to build on their lead.

Just before half-time Cornard tried to get back into game forcing a corner, but keeper Paul Wood was firm in the Melford goal.

The second half saw a more assertive and positive Cornard with the game now starting to approach a much more even contest.

However, it was Melford who almost went further ahead, with Skeggs and Westcott having efforts scrambled off the Cornard line.

As Cornard grew in confidence only a last ditch tackle from Gareth Thomas on Thompson saved Melford.

Play returned to the Cornard goal with a corner from Twyman finding Gregory and his header went flying over via the crossbar.

The visitors were proving to be more difficult this half for Melford and again Thompson got into the Melford box but shot straight at keeper Wood.

The home team made sure of the game after 78 minutes. Some good forward play by Luke Simpson saw the ball squared to McMahon who chipped the ball into the forward run of Ashley Skeggs, who neatly rounded keeper Lynn to net.

The game entered into a spell of yellow cards for both teams, and the final goal of the game via the penalty spot came for the visitors just before the end with Scott Yearsley converting.

An improved performance for Melford against a plucky Cornard team.

Melford: Wood, L Simpson, Waterfield (Shipton 72), Gregory, Durell (S Barnes 54) Thomas, McMahon, Skeggs, D Twyman (Durey 84) Westcott, Wilson. Unused subs: Walker, Swallow.