Halstead celebrate double success on their travels

THE BOSS: Cornard United manager Chris Symes by the dugout before his final game
THE BOSS: Cornard United manager Chris Symes by the dugout before his final game



March Town 0

Halstead Town 3

Halstead duly completed the double over their Cambridge opponents on Saturday by the exact margin as at Rosemary Lane earlier this season.

Injuries ruled out Charlie and Matt Knight, Lee Hurkett, Matt Dallinger and Johnny Thorogood.

But there was a welcome return for Danny Sakal who has missed most of the season with his travels to Australia.

There were first senior goals for Scott Kemp and Ricky Spriggs, while sandwiched between them was a clever strike from Jon Root, showing his experience despite his tender years.

It was Halstead who eventually made the breakthrough on 35 minutes when James Murray slipped a neat pass through for Kemp who ran on to fire home.

But for the rest of the half offside often called a halt to the visitors’ attacks.

March did have an opening soon after resumption when an Ian Foulger miskick let in Brand, but Cherry came to the rescue, which led to Halstead increasing their lead when the ball was played quickly through by Tom Barry and Drew leaving Root to hit the target.

From here on Halstead poured forward, totting up nine corners which lead to a James Raby flag kick finding its way through a crowded goalmouth to Spriggs who volleyed home in style to complete the scoring.

There were bookings for Cunliffe and Drew both fouls while March had three men yellow-carded.

Halstead Town 1

Team Bury 3

All season long Halstead have been short of consistency and never more was this shown in Monday’s scrappy performance against Bury, a side well below them in the table. After excellent results away, the last three home games have all brought defeats.

This defeat was inflicted by a side sharper in work, thought and deed, Halstead not waking up until Lee Hurkett’s penalty ten minutes from the end.

Back from injury Charlie Knight rattled the Bury crossbar early on after a neat Jon Root flick on. 

However concentration was lacking in the home defence when Bury went in front midway through the half when Kevin Moran’s shot eluded Jack Cherry.

A minute into the second half the margin was put beyond Halstead when Ryan Taylor’s superb pass freed the speedy Liam Wales to hit the target. To their credit Halstead kept going, with Barry firing wide from a Charlie Knight lay off, then the latter’s drive was tipped away by Sean Greygoose.

Defender Ashley Thompson headed home completely unmarked from Wales’ free-kick for Bury’s third, followed soon after with a Halstead  penalty which Hurkett tucked away.