Forshaw in red-hot form as AFC register first home win

HEADS UP: Defender Scott Mitchell heads over from Michael Shinn's corner for AFC Sudbury in the first half
HEADS UP: Defender Scott Mitchell heads over from Michael Shinn's corner for AFC Sudbury in the first half



AFC Sudbury 3

Waltham Forest 0

Former Norwich City trainee Jamie Forshaw paid tribute to the role of his teammates after bagging his fourth goal in just three games.

The 22-year-old’s second-half brace on Saturday, with a Dave Cowley strike sandwiched in between, helped register his new club’s first home win of the season at the second attempt.

But the former Wroxham frontman, who was called into the Scotland Under-16s squad in 2006, said his flying start to the season in front of goal — having scored coming off the bench in the season-opener at Thurrock — had been massively aided by his teammates.

“Obviously it is a new club for me and it has been a good start,” he said. “The lads have been brilliant and they have been making it easy for me.

“If they keep setting them up for me, I’ll keep scoring.”

Norwich-based Forshaw, who won the division with Lowestoft Town in 2009/10, added: “I’ve spoke to the manager and he has set me a target, but you can’t set them too high as you might not get there and my aim now is just to keep going.

“Personally, I definitely want to hit double figures.”

Fellow striker Ben Thompson’s return from holiday saw James Baker drop to the bench with captain Sam Clarke’s return from a knee injury the only other change, replacing Jamie Speller (ankle).

Waltham Forest had lost their two opening games conceding nine times without scoring themselves and, despite a goalless, scrappy first half, it was always a matter of when AFC would break the deadlock and how many would follow.

The best chance of the half fell to Matt Daniels, moved from a central to right-wing role, who clipped over from eight yards when put through on goal by Forshaw nine minutes before the break.

It followed several other missed opportunities to work the goalkeeper by the midfielder, but he did eventually draw the first save from David Myers, sending him full stretch to parry away his effort from 12 yards.

Forshaw, who had struggled with the offside trap all half then looked odds-on to score from Thompson’s low cross as AFC caught the visitors short on a counter-attack, but Myers’ outstretched right foot diverted the ball over his bar.

The Norwich-based striker then clipped the outside of the post from an angled drive on the left a minute before he finally broke the deadlock.

With 50 minutes played, the ball broke for him on the edge of the area and he rifled it into the top left corner, giving the goalkeeper no chance.

Forest began to look more threatening with Alex Archer having to tip over Isaac Harfo’s 35-yard free-kick and the same player then screwed a volley wide.

But AFC extended their lead after 72 minutes when a right-wing cross was not dealt with by the home defence and bounced through to Dave Cowley, who placed a left-foot shot beyond Myers.

Forshaw had a header ruled out for a foul in the build-up before the diminutive striker had his second and his side’s third with four minutes to play with an delightful move seeing Thompson chest into his path to drill home from Cowley’s right-wing cross.

AFC: Archer 6, N’Cho 6, Fox 6, Shinn 6 (Swatman 75’ 6), Mitchell 7, Lewis 6, Daniels 6, Clarke (c) 6 (Henshaw 83’ 6), Thompson 7, FORSHAW 8, Cowley 8. Subs not used: Baker, Cutts.

n For a video of captain Sam Clarke’s thoughts on the match, log on to www.suffolk