Cornard crash to club record defeat



Cornard United 0

Stowmarket Town 13

by Ken Watkins at

Blackhouse Lane

CORNARD United suffered a record club defeat as Stowmarket Town notched up a club record victory at Blackhouse Lane on Saturday.

Any hopes bottom-of-the-table Cornard might have had of giving their high-flying visitors a contest were dealt a body blow in the second minute when Stowmarket took the lead, and extinguished by the 20th when the fourth goal went in.

Financial problems have seen Cornard lose a number of their senior players, and it was a very young side that manager Chris Symes had to field on Saturday.

He said: “It’s hard. We have to see this season through, and things will improve next year when we run a reserve side again,” he said.

Cornard certainly didn’t help themselves, giving the ball away, failing to mark at critical times, and dwelling on the ball and getting caught.

Stowmarket, quicker to break and close down, ruthlessly punished the lack of experience by capitalising on almost every error.

Stowmarket manager Steve Jay, sights sets on promotion, had some sympathy for Cornard, but was pleased with his team’s attitude.

“You have to beat what’s in front of you, and we kept it going right to the end,” he said.

To their credit Stowmarket, after the fourth goal, toned down the celebrations. But, a 20-minute spell early in the second half apart, they rarely relaxed the pressure, and unhappy Cornard were denied even a minute consolation.

Cornard keeper Matt Walker, having a baptism of fire in his first season in the first team, made a number of splendid saves, but was too often left exposed, and Stowmarket took full advantage.

Six of the goals came from corners, six from open play, and one from a cruel penalty after a shot hit a defender who was on the ground. Referee Neil Morrison showed sympathy just once, ending the second half after exactly 45 minutes.

First half goals came from Nathan Birch (2 min), James Graham (10), Marc Wake (16), Lee Drummond (20), Wake (35), Dan Smith (36), Drummond (42, 43).

In the second half Wayne Proctor scored from the spot after 47 minutes. Other goals came from Graham (71), James Horsfall (73), Proctor (78), Dean Tournay-Godfrey (80).

Cornard: Walker; Murray, Cullivan (Barnes 46), Wanmer, Johnstone (Pannell 46), Melia, Hutchings, Scott, Smith, Becket. Unused sub: Wallis.

Stowmarket: Bugg; Treday, McConnell, Smith, Birch, Horsfall, Myhill (Hall 52), Graham, Proctor, Wake (Tournay-Godfrey 46), Drummond (Licence 52). Unused sub: Canfer.