Cornard concede six against Diss



Diss Town 6 Cornard United 0

CORNARD shipped six goals against promotion-chasers Diss for the second time in the space of two months.

After a bright opening, which saw Rhys Millson go just over with an audacious long-range chip from the wing, the floodgates opened once Jonny King put Diss ahead after 18 minutes.

Before that, lone striker Tomoroga Dimitru, a willing runner all afternoon, almost capitalised on some relaxed defending in a rare opening for the bottom side.

But the tide turned after King volleyed home from a perfect lofted pass by Jon Abbott, giving Walker, who had palmed away an identical move moments earlier, no chance.

And the home side’s advantage was doubled within 60 seconds when Andy Moody stabbed home from close range. But it proved costly with the striker having to limp off immediately, later seen on crutches after turning his ankle over.

It was 3-0 on the stroke of half-time, courtesy of the penalty spot, after Partridge was caught by the legs of the on-rushing Walker. Stuart Garner duly dispatched into the bottom-right corner.

The beginning of the second half saw Cornard again start brightly, having their first shot on target, but their flicker of hope soon burned out with Diss’ first meaningful attack after the restart.

On 52 minutes, King sent in a fierce right-wing cross for Partridge, who had experienced no luck in front of goal to that point despite a clever acrobatic overhead going wide, getting a firm header to send an effort flying in.

Despite more chances raining in on the Cornard goal, it took another 18 minutes for Diss’ next effort to find the net, after a series of fine saves from young shot-stopper Walker.

But he could do nothing to prevent Partridge from doubling his personal tally with a one-on-one cooly finished.

The rest of the game became a procession with the home faithful urging goalkeeper Matt Webster to go up for corners, but it was a centre-back pushed up front, Stefan Gilding, who put the final gloss on the afternoon’s work, slamming home a rebound 10 minutes from time.

Cornard will be under no illusions they will have to be a lot better than this when the relegation door looks likely to re-open from the first division next season.

Free Press man of the match: Matt Walker. Teenage stopper made a series of great reaction saves in the second half to keep the scoreline in single figures.

l CORNARD United play Halstead Town in a local derby on Friday night (7.45pm) at Blackhouse Lane, after the game was moved forward from Saturday.