AFC Sudbury - Boylan: whole team must carry defensive responsibility

WING PLAY: Danny Green looks to beat his man on a disappointing day for AFC Sudbury against Romford
WING PLAY: Danny Green looks to beat his man on a disappointing day for AFC Sudbury against Romford
Share this article

AFC Sudbury 3 Romford 6


AFC Sudbury 3 Romford 6

Lee Boylan believes the whole team was responsible for the woeful defending which saw Romford put six goals past them on Saturday.

After conceding twice in a six-minute spell, AFC pulled level by the break and looked to be in the ascendency.

But Romford regained the lead just three minutes into the second half and added a further three, while Boylan completed his hat-trick in Sudbury’s only riposte, as the Yellows’ winless run stretched to nine games in all competitions.

“We can’t defend like we have, not just from the defenders and midfielders, it is the forwards as well, we have to shut down,” said Boylan, who was playing his first 90 minutes since a six-week ankle injury lay-off.

“We are very disappointed but I am not pointing fingers at defenders, it is not just them but we have to learn from it as it is costing us at the minute.”

The FA Trophy winner with Stevenage in 2009 believed Boro left-back Joe Oates should have been given his marching orders, rather than a yellow card, when taking him out for a penalty just before the half-hour mark.

“It is a goalscoring opportunity, I was clean through and he has come through the back of me,” he said. “In my eyes it was a straight red – it might have made a difference in the game.”

After Michael Shinn headed against his own crossbar, Fred Howe saved at the feet of Ryan Imbert and Tom Richardson’s screamer grazed the top of the bar, the visitors deservedly broke the deadlock on 23 minutes.

Paul Clayton was left with a simple finish at the far post after the lively Richardson’s low cross deflected off Shipton into his path. Three minutes later it was 2-0 as a goalmouth scramble saw Adam Dalby clear off the line but only into the path of Imbert, who lashed home.

Boylan converted a penalty on 29 minutes to get AFC back in the contest after Dave Cowley put him through as the home side began to finally get going.

After Howe produced a fingertip save to deny Nick Reynolds, Boylan got the Yellows back on level terms three minutes into first-half stoppage time when rifling in from the edge of the area after a move involving Cowley and Antoine.

But three minutes after the re-start James Smith’s attempt to head clear Joe Turner’s corner saw the looping ball drop for Reynolds to volley in.

A few minutes after Clayton rattled the bar it was 4-2 after 69 minutes when Imbert executed a deft back-heel finish past Howe after the ball was squared to him following the young Sudbury keeper’s fine save from Richardson’s free-kick.

Four minutes later, Boro struck again with a fine solo effort from Richardson, bending around Howe from the left-corner of the area after being afforded too much room.

A good interception from Shinn in midfield allowed him to put Boylan through to complete his hat-trick after 78 minutes.

But the fightback was killed off five minutes later with Imbert hitting his third after Smith left a ball over the top for Howe, seemingly unaware of how close his marker was behind him.