Home   Sport   Article

First-half goals seal victory for Sudbury

WELCOME WIN: Sudbury Ladies moved up to second with a win over St Albans
WELCOME WIN: Sudbury Ladies moved up to second with a win over St Albans



Sudbury Ladies 2 St Albans Ladies 1

Sudbury Ladies I survived some second-half pressure to record a 2-1 win over St Albans at weekend.

The hosts started brightly and they were rewarded when Kirsty Sloan shifted the ball to her right and fired it home.

Already with a one-goal advantage to their name, Sudbury continued to attack as the half progressed and doubled their lead before the break when Abbi Taylor’s reverse stick shot squeezed inside the left post.

A resurgent St Albans pulled a goal back after the restart, but the home team held out in the minutes that remained to tighten their grip on second spot.

n Sudbury Ladies II also picked up a victory as they defeated Lowestoft 3-1.

Goals from Tor Apter, Lily Chiang and Charlotte Kiddy put the home team in complete command of the contest and rendered Lowestoft’s goal in the closing stages a consolation.

n There was not such positive news for Sudbury Men’s I, though, as they went down 3-2 in their East Men’s League Division 2N encounter with UEA.

They went in trailing 1-0 at the break and despite second-half goals coming courtesy of Sam Clarke and Chris Clubb, it was the home team that claimed the victory.

n A much changed Sudbury Men’s II side, which contained players from the third and fourth teams, made the lengthy trip to Cromer, where they were defeated 4-1 by North Norfolk.

The hosts took a 1-0 lead into the half-time interval and as Sudbury pushed forward in search of an equaliser, they added two further goals shortly after the restart.

A short corner saw Callum Rolfe pull goal back for Sudbury, but North Norfolk had the final say on proceedings with a fourth goal.

n Sudbury Men’s IV picked up a comphrensive 7-3 victory from their Division 7NE trip to Felixstowe.

Sam Martin, Chris Ashby and Dave Partridge were among the goals as the visitors took a 5-1 lead into the break.

The hosting Seasiders hit back with two goals early in the second half to reduce the arrears to 5-3, and set up a tense finale.

Haowever, Sudbury made the win safe with two late goals to maintain their position at the top of the league table.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More