Home   Sport   Article


SEE YOU LATER: Austin Beckett out-smarts his marker to run in a try at local rivals Ipswich on Saturday, while he was also given a helping hand over the line (right)
SEE YOU LATER: Austin Beckett out-smarts his marker to run in a try at local rivals Ipswich on Saturday, while he was also given a helping hand over the line (right)




Ipswich 19 Sudbury 34

Sudbury travelled to near neighbours Ipswich on Saturday and maintained their unbeaten record to move into second place in the league.

Ipswich have struggled this season with only one win in five games and Graham Richard’s squad were well aware of the importance of a good performance away from home.

The hosts kicked off in the early 1pm fixture (due to World Cup) and immediately retained possession, putting pressure on the Sudbury line. But after five minutes of play Sudbury scored through Charles Jackson, which came through their first foray into the Ipswich half.

The score came from a lineout and then a backs move shipping the ball left to right, right across the park to touch down close to the sideline.

Ipswich were getting the best of the territorial advantage but Sudbury were competing well at the scrum and actually pushing the home side backwards at times.

From a scrum on the Sudbury 22, Sudbury again shipped the ball wide to Austin Beckett who ran two thirds of the pitch to pass to brother Fraser to complete the move, which was converted by Tom Summers.

While Ipswich were still enjoying the majority of territorial advantage, every time Sudbury got into the Ipswich half they scored.

From a scrum on their opposition’s 22 the backs again combined to get the ball wide to Austin who ran in behind the posts. Ipswich did cross the Sudbury line but were penalised for a forward pass.

For the final five minutes of the half Ipswich pressurised Sudbury but were unable to convert this into points and so went into the clubhouse 17-0 down.

Ipswich were first to score in the second half from a five scrum and quick hands for Littlechild to score.

Sudbury lost two to the bin for the first 10 minutes of the half but did manage to score through Shaun Smith.

Ipswich capitalised on the advantage to score again through O’Riordon.

Back to full strength, Sudbury rallied and then Ipswich lost two to the bin.

But there was no further score until 32 mintues into the half when Austin got his second try. He broke from loose play in the centre of the park and Summers converted.

Johnny Taylor was next to score, which again was the result of a move from the backs.

Ipswich scored with a couple of minutes left on the clock from a passage of play by their backs to complete the scoring, a scoreline which could have been much closer but for the superb defence again shown by the Sudbury team.

Once again the Sudbury forwards worked hard to provide the platform for the backs to operate from.

n The league takes another break this weekend before Sudbury return to action the following weekend (November 7), hosting Diss in a top-of-the-table clash at Whittome Field (1pm).

Read more

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More