Home   Sport   Article

Cup run is over after brave display

Latest sport news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
Latest sport news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter


Eastbourne Borough 2

AFC Sudbury 1

by Pat Arbon at Priory Lane

AFC Sudbury’s FA Cup run ended on the South Coast on Saturday when the hosts, who play two levels above them in the Vanarama National League South, scored a goal in each half to progress.

Sudbury put on a brave display and scored a late consolation goal.

Sudbury boss Jamie Goldbold made changes, Robbie Martin and Ross Bailey starting in place of the injured Jack Newman and Jordan Blackwell dropping to the bench.

Godbold named six substitutes, including Academy players Tyler French and Oliver Dunlop, with the latter coming on late for his first team debut.

Sudbury were soon in their stride and skipper Sam Clarke became the only visiting player to be yellow-carded after just five minutes play for a strong challenge. It seemed a harsh decision.

Sudbury went on to have a good spell of play. Twice Luke Callander went close with efforts that just failed to hit the target, and the lively Sam Bantick brought a good save from the home keeper before Eastbourne broke the deadlock after 34 minutes with their first serious effort on target. Up to then the Sudbury defence had held firm.

But from a break down the Eastbourne right the ball was squared to Nathaniel Pinney and the home striker scored with a low shot from just outside the box that went in off a post.

Two minutes later only a great save by Sudbury keeper Ollie Bowles prevented the hosts from going in at the break with a two-goal advantage.

Any hopes of Sudbury getting back on terms early in the second period were dashed as within a minute of the restart Eastbourne doubled their lead. The lively Pinney was again the scorer when he twisted and turned in the box to score from close range.

It was not all one way traffic and Sudbury enjoyed a good spell. Liam Wales twice tested the home keeper, and from a left wing corner Ryan Henshaw had a header cleared off the. Eastbourne also had an effort cleared off the line before Bantick scored deep into stoppage time with a breakaway goal.

AFC Sudbury: Bowles, Robinson, Martin (Canfer 60), Bailey (Dunlop 84), Henshaw, Baker, Bantick, Clarke, Callander, Parker, Wales (Blackwell 68). Subs not used: French, Godbold, Reynolds (GK).

Attendance: 404

Free Press man of the match: Sam Bantick – he was a constant threat to the home defence and scorer of a fine individual goal.

Yellow card: Sam Clarke – tackle.

n Two goals from Ollie Dunlop saw AFC Academy under-18s beat Histon 2-1 to reach the second round of the FA Youth Cup, where they will be away to Needham Market.

n Week 22 winners in the AFC Gold fundraiser: £100 Mrs W Malone (267), J & W, Gaol Lane, Sudbury; £10 C Tatum (219), Holmewood Drive, Giltbrook, Nottingham; £10 Mrs D Farnell (203), Hanover Court, Sudbury.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More