Home   Sport   Article

Cornard concede twice in three minutes in away loss

HOLDING OFF: Cornard United's Deklyn Roy holds off his marker during their 2-1 defeat against Haverhill Borough at the weekend
HOLDING OFF: Cornard United's Deklyn Roy holds off his marker during their 2-1 defeat against Haverhill Borough at the weekend



Haverhill Borough 2

Cornard United 1

by Gary Brown

at the New Croft

Two goals in three second-half minutes saw Cornard United taste defeat against Haverhill Borough at the New Croft on Saturday.

The Ards started the better of the two sides, with Ezra Drann shooting wide after only eight minutes.

Borough responded and looked dangerous from set pieces, with Gareth Thomas heading past Daniel Joyce in the Cornard goal, only for his effort to be disallowed for offside.

Craig Pruden looked lively for Borough, forcing Joyce into a save after good interplay with centre-forward Charlie Holmes on the half hour.

However, the best chance of the half was presented to Daniel Brown as he burst through the Borough defence after 39 minutes after collecting an errant pass.

His shot to Graham Smith’s left was palmed away by the Haverhill goalkeeper on to the post and cleared from danger.

Cornard continued to create chances after the break, with Moses Carvalho missing a golden opportunity from six yards out as the ball flew across the Borough penalty area.

That miss was to prove costly as Borough hit back almost immediately.

On 55 minutes, Tommy Hardwick fired the ball into Holmes and, following good hold up play from the striker, he slipped in Jarid Robson, who made no mistake to fire the hosts into the lead.

Three minutes later the lead was doubled as Ryan Phillips fed Ryan Swallow and he finished with casual disdain to Joyce’s left.

Nathan Finan pulled a goal back for Cornard after 64 minutes after another fine through ball, this time from substitute Tommy Robinson.

Borough came close to a third when substitute Martin Westcott hit the post with a curling shot from the edge of the penalty area, before skipper Thomas forced Joyce into a magnificent save, diving to his right and scooping the ball out of the goal from a corner.

n On Saturday evening, the Ards announced the double signing of Nunes Cono and Saldu Koroma, with both expected to be involved in the club’s first-team squad.

n Last night, Cornard were due to host higher-league Newmarket Town in the Thurlow Nunn League Challenge Cup second round.

Both sides received a bye in the first round and were set to face off at Blackhouse Lane yesterday.

The draw for the third round of the League Challenge Cup takes place on Saturday afternoon and will be published on the league’s website later that evening.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More