Burwell skittled by Halstead’s bowlers



Burwell* 139 Halstead 141-4

HALSTEAD secured a valuable victory away at Burwell on Saturday.

The result lifted them above their opponents, as well as Clacton, to ninth place in the league.

Captain Tom Philp, sporting a badly-bruised arm due to a practice nets accident, won the toss and put Burwell into bat in swinging conditions well suited to his side’s bowling attack.

Halstead’s opening pair of Syed Rasel and Philp had Burwell under pressure from the off and it took the home side six overs to get a run on the board, with them soon falling to 9-2.

Opener Richer was the first to go, ballooning a shot to Olly Ekers on the leg side, having made four.

New man in Bester soon followed for a duck, Rasel getting the first lbw of the game.

This brought to the crease Paul Summerskill and he was soon removed by senior pro Chris Roper, who took a superb one-handed catch at gully off Philp to dismiss him for 17.

Goosen joined the stalwart defence of Chris Summerskill and the pair took the score to 62-3 off of 30 overs at lunch.

Their partnership of 31 runs, the highest of Burwell’s innings, was ended by Matt Spatcher with a swinging delivery that struck Goosen in front of the stumps for 11.

New batsman Lawton offered 33 balls of resistance before his wicket sparked a mini collapse of the Burwell innings.

Lawton made eight before Spatcher forced him into edging one to Ekers at first slip, who took a tough chance low to his left.

Next to the crease was Williams, whose walk out took longer than his time in bat, departing first ball, lbw to Spatcher.

The hat-trick ball was calmly swatted away by the incoming Jarvis.

Next to go was opener Summerskill, his 121-ball 37 eventually being ended by Rasel. An inswinging delivery proved unplayable for him, hitting the top of off stump.

Huckle departed for 11 thanks to some quick work from keeper Freddie Blackwell to stump him, giving Spatcher his fourth wicket of the game.

Young Ed Clark got the wicket of Jarvis, caught in the slips by Bertie Blackwell before captain Philp returned to the attack to finish the innings off, bowling Bowers for 12.

This meant Burwell closed on 139 all out from 55.1 overs.

Halstead’s reply began with Freddie Blackwell making a better than a-run-a-ball 15 before being the first wicket, bowled by Bowers with the score on 26.

Not long afterwards Halstead were two down, fellow opener Spatcher the man out, lbw to Jarvis for 25. Bertie Blackwell soon followed in the same vein, this time to Bowers for five.

A period of rebuilding began courtesy of Matt Surry and Syed Rasel. Their partnership of 67 was the highest of the day, ending on the stroke of tea when Rasel edged a rising delivery behind to keeper Paul Summerskill with the score on 116.

After tea this brought to the crease Olly Ekers, who along with Surry, would see Halstead over the finish line.

It was fitting that Surry brought up his 50 with the winning runs for Halstead. His attacking innings comprised of two fours and five sixes, including some powerful hits straight down the ground.

The six-wicket victory meant Halstead took a vital 25 points from the game, while limiting rivals Burwell to just two. This allowed them to move up the table, giving momentum for next week’s game at home to Bury St Edmunds.