Home   Sport   Article

AFC go down at home

FINED: AFC Sudbury have been fined �300 for their part in the abandoned game with Hendon in January
FINED: AFC Sudbury have been fined �300 for their part in the abandoned game with Hendon in January


AFC Sudbury went into Saturday’s match on a nine-game unbeaten run, but Aveley completed a league double with their first away win since September.

Sudbury played two thirds of the game with 10 men after skipper Sam Clarke was shown a straight red card for a strong challenge, meaning he will miss three games over the Christmas period.

Sudbury boss David Batch made two changes from the side that started the previous game with Jack Gurton and Ayrton Coley coming in for Lee Flynn and Jordan Blackwell, who were named among the substitutes along with Correy Davidson, who had recovered from injury.

James Baker and Kris Newby were still sidelined with injury, although the latter was serving a one-game ban.

On a bitterly cold afternoon Sudbury were the first to go close when, from Jack Wilkinson’s long throw-in from the left, Ryan Henshaw fired inches wide.

Aveley had a great chance when Kyle Assante broke clear, only to be denied by home keeper Marcus Garnham, who saved with his legs.

Defences went on to dominate, but after 30 minutes Sudbury were reduced to 10 men when skipper Clarke red-carded following a strong challenge in midfield.

Six minutes later, Aveley broke the deadlock when a left-wing corner was cleared off the line, but only as far as Aaran Restkocheri, who fired home to give the visitors the lead at the break.

Ten-man Sudbury went close early in the second half when a shot from Ollie Berquez was tipped over by James Marrable in the Aveley goal.

Sudbury pressed hard for the equaliser, particularly after the introduction of Davidson off the bench on the hour-mark, but the Aveley defence held firm.

With the home side pressing, Aveley looked dangerous on the counter-attack and they doubled their lead after 72 minutes when, from a break down their left, a cross from Theo Ola found Marcus Elliott, who finished clinically.

That virtually ended the game as a contest and Aveley sealed the points with a third goal in stoppage time when Jack Stevenson scored direct from a free-kick.

AFC Sudbury: Garnham, Robinson, Wilkinson, Guyton (Flynn 42), Henshaw, Pope, Coley (Ray 77), Clarke, Rymer, Yiga (Davidson 60), Berquez. Unused subs: Kemp & Blackwell.

Attendance: 175.

Sudbury MoM: Ben Robinson – defended well and looked dangerous going forward.

Sudbury bookings: Sam Clarke (straight red). Lawrence Yiga (yellow).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More