MORE than 40 people attended a meeting to voice their concerns about a group of travellers who have set up camp in Sudbury.
Residents turned out en masse at a Chilton Parish Council meeting on Tuesday night after the group moved on to a site in Aubrey Drive.
Complaints included reports of fighting between traveller children and youngsters from the estate, the noise of generators and concerns about hygiene on the land opposite a children’s play area.
Peter Clifford, chairman of the parish council, said all the necessary bodies had been contacted and were working together to find a solution.
“I understand residents’ frustration and anger at this unauthorised and unwanted intrusion on their lives,” he said.
“But I urge all parties to behave responsibly and calmly and give the agencies involved time to sort matters out.”
On Monday, two boys – said to be part of the travelling community – were arrested on suspicion of attempted burglary after being found in a garage in the area where the travellers are staying.
For the full story see this week’s Free Press.