Sudbury rocks to joint festivals

THE STAGE IS SET: Sudbury band Two Steps Twice were on hand to warm up the crowds at LeeStock festival.
THE STAGE IS SET: Sudbury band Two Steps Twice were on hand to warm up the crowds at LeeStock festival.
Share this article

BANK holiday revellers donned their raincoats and danced in the puddles at the “biggest music festival ever put on in Sudbury”.

LeeStock took over AFC Sudbury’s MEL Group stadium on Sunday, as around 800 people came to see headliners Wheatus, dance band D:Ream and a host of smaller acts throughout the day.

Organiser Pete Keogh said: “It was brilliant and we managed to get a very good attendance despite the weather.

“Wheatus were real crowd-pleasers and everybody was singing along to Teenage Dirtbag in the rain, while The Crimson Dixies are always well-supported locally. The atmosphere was great and everybody was dancing in their ponchos.”

The festival, which has been held for four years, raises money for The Willow Foundation in memory of Sudbury musician Lee Dunford, who died of cancer in 2006 aged 21. The charity helps seriously ill people aged between 16 and 40 and supported Mr Dunford before his death.

“The money is still filtering through and we have no idea how much was raised yet,” said Mr Keogh. “We are very happy with the amount we’re going to be able to donate though – everybody was so generous and we even sold out of merchandise.”

This was the first year that LeeStock had joined forces with AFC Sudbury’s main fundraising event of the year, the Live and Kicking festival, which was held at the same venue on Monday.

Live and Kicking organiser Richard Instance said: “We have had a great weekend and our day went really well.”

He added that Monday’s line-up, which featured tribute acts including Bon Giovi, Coldplace and The Committed, attracted an additional 800 people.

“Over the two days, it must be the biggest music festival ever put on in Sudbury,” he said.

Mr Instance thanked Sudbury Town Council, all the volunteers and local businesses who made the events – and the colossal clean-up operation which finished yesterday – possible.