‘Sex obsessed’ man denies rape charge against schoolgirls

Latest breaking news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
Latest breaking news from the Suffolk Free Press, suffolkfreepress.co.uk, @sfpsudbury on Twitter

A Sudbury garage owner has told a jury that although he was “sex obsessed” he did not commit five rapes.

Trevor Wright, 67, of Ballingdon Street, is alleged to have committed the rapes together with seven sexual assaults, all involving three schoolgirls more than 25 years ago.

Wright has pleaded not guilty to the offences and this week while giving evidence at Ipswich Crown Court said that while he had obtained sexual gratification by rubbing himself against the girls, nothing more serious took place.

Earlier the jury was told that Wright, who is known as Tim, had already pleaded guilty to six offences of indecent assault against the same girls.

While being cross examined by Andrew Thompson, prosecuting, Wright admitted that he had been “sex obsessed.”

Accepting that he had lied 15 times while being interviewed by police about the offences he had pleaded guilty to, Wright told the court: “I was scared and ashamed and didn’t want to admit it to myself.”

Wright said that while he had rubbed himself against the girls, he did not do anything further and denied ever raping or penetrating them.

When the trial opened the jury heard allegations that Wright committed five rapes and seven sexual assaults on the three girls between 1977 and 1989.

One rape is claimed to have taken place in a car belonging to a customer at Wright’s garage in Ballingdon Street.

Other offences were alleged to have taken place at a stables where Wright kept a horse and one sexual assault in a swimming pool in Devon while Wright was on holiday, said Mr Thompson.

Wright was described by the prosecution as an “opportunist” who took advantage of no-one else being around to commit offences.

Following his arrest, Wright had told police that he had been a heavy drinker and suffered from memory problems.

Giving evidence via a recorded interview, one of Wright’s alleged victims claimed that he had never used any form of contraception.

This afternoon (November 3) the jury retired to begin considering verdicts.