Rolling back the years for Sudbury heritage open day
More than 150 people visited Sudbury Heritage Centre on Saturday as part of an open day event.
Sudbury Town Council staged a Heritage Open Day from 10am to 4pm.
The town hall and heritage centre were open, while volunteers dressed in period costume walked along Market Hill to welcome visitors wanting to know more about the town and its history through the ages.
Visitors had the chance to see the mayor’s parlour, with its collection of prints on loan from the museum and birthplace of Thomas Gainsborough, Gainsborough’s House.
They also saw paintings owned by the town council.
Burial records from the 1800s were on show, as well as other documents, such as the Freemen’s Roll Book, which dates from 1825, and accounting papers from the 1800s onwards.
Upstairs in the Assembly Room, with its display of Sudbury silk, the Ephemera Archive had Sudbury ‘nuisance’ books on display, plus historical records relating to fires that have occurred in Sudbury since the 1950s.
Home made cakes and teas and coffee went on sale to raise funds for the mayor’s charities.
Local councillors were also on hand to talk to visitors about their work.