Repeated exposure to asbestos led to death of Sudbury man Philip Garwood, inquest concludes
A Sudbury man died as a result of repeated exposure to asbestos during his working career, an inquest has concluded.
Philip Garwood, 69, of Abbey Road, had spent 30 years working in engineering stores and maintenance.
Last week, an inquest at Suffolk Coroner’s Court heard Mr Garwood had suffered significant exposure to asbestos, while employed at the Bush Boake Allen factory, near Long Melford.
Mr Garwood was involved in stripping asbestos and fibreglass inside the factory, said assistant Suffolk coroner Dr Daniel Sharpstone.
The inquest heard Mr Garwood was admitted to West Suffolk Hospital, where he died on September 20.
The cause of his death was given as the asbestos-related condition mesothelioma and pneumonia.
Dr Sharpstone concluded that death was due to an industrial disease.