Home   News   Article

More cash support needed to see Suffolk through coronavirus crisis, councils warn




Suffolk councils have received nearly £6 million in emergency cash from central Government to tackle the coronavirus pandemic in the latest settlement – but council bosses have warned more is needed to see them through the crisis.

The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government announced the third tranche of emergency cash for authorities on Thursday, with Suffolk’s share totalling £5.9 million out of the £500 million pot.

The breakdown is as follows:

Suffolk County Council is based at Endeavour House (38977935)
Suffolk County Council is based at Endeavour House (38977935)

• West Suffolk – £277,769

• Mid Suffolk – £139,622

• Babergh – £132,051

• Suffolk County – £4,690,734

• East Suffolk – £425,440

• Ipswich – £278,009

Suffolk County Council has received the lion’s share of the latest pot for Suffolk, as it is responsible for adult care, while East Suffolk has the largest population meaning its settlement is more than other districts and boroughs.

The latest tranche means Suffolk’s authorities so far have received more than £48.5 million in Government cash to tackle the crisis since March, which has helped to fund emergency response measures such as food parcels, temporary accommodation for homeless people during lockdown and sourcing additional PPE.

Authorities have faced the double hit of increased costs to tackle the crisis and severely depleted incomes, as car park revenue, theatre takings and gym money has all been slashed under lockdown.

While the extra funds have been welcomed, councils leaders said more cash was needed to prevent cuts.

Cllr Gordon Jones, cabinet member for finances at Suffolk County Council, said: “This is welcome news and will of course go some way to support us in meeting the unexpected financial challenges that responding to Covid-19 has caused.

“We continue to remain in contact with central Government to update it on our emerging service pressures. I hope that there is recognition that further financial support is required in months to come as local authorities continue to support communities through the response and recovery surrounding the pandemic.”

Central government has announced plans to reimburse councils 75p in every £1 of lost income, after the first five per cent of income has been covered by the authorities themselves, but details on which income streams will and will not be included in that deal are yet to be confirmed, leaving uncertainty for authorities over how much they will need to dip into reserves or make savings.



This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More