Home   News   Article

Man who led police on high speed chase on A134 is jailed

Ipswich Crown Court ANL-140617-141524001
Ipswich Crown Court ANL-140617-141524001

A man who led police on a high speed chase on the A134 after assaulting his girlfriend has been jailed for 16 months.

Nathan Winslow, 23, reached speeds of more than 90mph on the highway between Bury St Edmunds and Sudbury on February 1.

Today (Friday) Ipswich Crown Court heard that Winslow got behind the wheel of his VW Polo car after arguing with his girlfriend Sophie Mitchell.

Francis Lloyd, prosecuting, said Miss Mitchell was assaulted by Winslow who grabbed her and pushed her onto her back.

When later questioned by police, Winslow claimed that he was acting in self defence after being threated by Miss Mitchell with a spiked carpet fitting tool.

Police were alerted after Winslow drove off and they followed him at high speed along Waldringfield Road, Northern Road, Springlands Way, and Churchfield Road, in Sudbury, at Bridge Street, in Shimpling, and on the A134 between Bury and Sudbury.

The court was told that officers in a patrol car, who called in the force helicopter to help monitor the situation, recorded Winslow as driving at up to 80mph in a 30mph area and 94mph in a 70mph limit.

Mr Lloyd said: “It was a lengthy piece of very dangerous driving which, thankfully, didn’t result in any injuries to anybody.”

At one stage Winslow’s car collided with a stationary vehicle which was waiting to turn off the A134. Winslow failed to stop and the chase continued, said Mr Lloyd.

The 20 minute pursuit ended close to Winslow’s then home in Aveley Lane, Alpheton, where he abandoned the car and ran off but was detained nearby soon afterwards.

When interviewed, Winslow accepted that his driving was dangerous but said the assault on his girlfriend was in self-defence.

Appearing for Winslow, Edward Revoize said: “This sort of driving is appalling and it is merciful that no serious injuries occurred as a result. He recognises that.”

While being held in prison awaiting sentencing Winslow concluded that he needed to change his life, said Mr Renvoize.

Winslow pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, failing to stop after an accident and assault by beating.

Sentencing him to a total of 16 months imprisonment, Judge John Devaux told Winslow: “The dangerous driving falls into the most serious category.”

Winslow, who the court heard had previous convictions for offences involving violence, was disqualified from driving for 18 months.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More