Man killed by asbestos related disease
A Hadleigh man, who died from an asbestos-related disease, was first exposed to the material after being called up for National Service, an inquest heard.
John Gant, 82, died at his home in Woodthorpe Close on September 26.
On February 13, an inquest in Ipswich heard that, after working in the building trade, Mr Gant had, as a young man, been called up for National Service.
It was while working as a motor vehicle mechanic that he was first exposed to asbestos dust from components containing the material.
Assistant Suffolk coroner Kevin McCarthy said that, after ending his military service, Mr Gant had continued to work as a mechanic.
Doctors confirmed last year that Mr Gant was suffering from the fatal condition mesothelioma, which is linked to asbestos exposure.
Mr McCarthy recorded a conclusion that Mr Gant died as a result of an industrial disease.