Man died in Long Melford from prescription drug toxicity, inquest hears
A 26-year-old man died in bed at a house in Long Melford as a result of drug toxicity, an inquest heard.
Shane Deveraux was discovered by his grandmother at her home in Cordell Road on March 11.
Police called to the address established there were no suspicious circumstances, the inquest heard on Tuesday morning.
The hearing at Suffolk Coroner’s Court in Ipswich was told that Mr Deveraux died as a result of multiple drug toxicity.
Tests showed the presence of morphine at a level considered to be potentially fatal, together with other substances in Mr Deveraux’s blood.
In a statement, Mr Deveraux’s mother, Suzanne White, told the inquest that she believed his addiction problems began in 2014, when she said social services took away his baby son.
Mrs White said her son, who also lost his home, had been “treated like scum”.
She added: “We begged mental health to help him and begged them to put him in rehabilitation as Shane really wanted to stop taking pills.”
A letter from Mr Deveraux’s GP confirmed that he was being treated for anxiety and depression.
He had also spent a number of periods in hospital.
The inquest heard Mr Deveraux had been in contact with drug addiction treatment workers and mental health services, but had been discharged after failing to keep appointments.
Mr Deveraux had blamed a faulty mobile phone and snowy weather for some of his failings to engage with helpers.
Despite making progress in ending his drug use, Mr Deveraux later returned to it, saying he was depressed because of the death of a close friend in a road accident, only being allowed to see his son for two hours every two months and having a difficult relationship with members of his family.
At the time of his death, Mr Deveraux had been awaiting an assessment for a possible place at Mulberry House in Sudbury.
Assistant Suffolk coroner Kevin McCarthy said that, following Mr Deveraux’s death, mental health services had carried out a review, which concluded there had been no care failings.
Mr McCarthy recorded a conclusion that Mr Deveraux’s death was drug related.