Home   News   Article

Elderly Lavenham woman died after her dressing gown caught fire, inquest hears


By Newsdesk Sudbury


Suffolk Coroners Court. (6394919)
Suffolk Coroners Court. (6394919)

An 87-year-old woman from Lavenham died after her dressing gown caught fire, an inquest heard.

Maire Ramsey had been heating soup on a gas cooker for supper at her home in Bolton Street when her sleeve caught alight.

The inquest today at Suffolk Coroner's Court in Ipswich was told that despite having suffered 25 per cent burns, Mrs Ramsay did not use her alarm to summon help but instead went to bed as she did not want to disturb anyone.

The hearing was told that Mrs Ramsay had said she was unable to untie the cord of her burning dressing gown with one hand but did eventually manage to pull it off.

After being taken to West Suffolk Hospital, Mrs Ramsay was transferred to the regional specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford where she died on October 2.

The cause of Mrs Ramsay's death was given as multiple organ failure and burns.

Assistant Suffolk Coroner Dr Daniel Sharpstone recorded a conclusion that she died as a result of multiple organ failure secondary to burns.



COMMENTS
()


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More