Home   News   Article

LATEST: Three from Norfolk and Suffolk jailed over illegal rave disorder

Court news.
Court news.

A man and a woman from Norfolk, plus a man from Suffolk, have been jailed for their part in disorder during an illegal rave.

Joshua Colman, 21, of Denny’s Walk, Narborough and Zachary King, 20, of Lakenheath, were each sentenced to 18 months in prison at Lincoln Crown Court today, having admitted violent disorder.

Maggie-Mae Cross, 20, of Anson Way, Carbrooke was given 12 months in jail for the same charge, while eight other defendants were given sentences of between 12 months and two years for the same offence.

All 11 were part of the disturbances as police moved in to break up an illegal rave at Twyford Woods, next to the A1 in South Lincolnshire, in May last year.

The court heard that police officers, wearing full riot gear, had bottles, stones, lengths of wood, lumps of concrete and a scaffolding pole thrown at them, plus diesel fuel sprayed on them, during the incident.

Twenty-six officers were injured during the violence which broke out as they moved in to seize generators to bring to an end the event which attracted ravers from as far away as Cardiff and the West Country.

Passing sentence, Judge Michael Heath, passing sentence, told them “This case involves large-scale public disorder.

“Immediate custodial sentences have to be imposed to punish each of you and to provide an element of deterrence to those who may be minded to engage in violent disorder in similar situations against police officers trying to do their job.”

Jonathon Dee, prosecuting, said before the violence broke out police closed access to the site to prevent further people arriving and issued a dispersal notice ordering the 1,500 ravers to leave.

Mr Dee said “This was a period of violent wholescale public disorder which started when police went to break up an illegal rave.

“The violence occurred when the police tried to dismantle three of the stages. There was large-scale resistance.

“There were a large number of people involved in the violence. Missiles were being thrown and individuals were attacking the police.

“Officers met with concerted resistance as they tried to seize a generator.

“Bottles, stones, lengths of wood and a scaffolding pole were thrown.

“One officer was injured and carried away by his colleagues as they were confronted by a crowd. 26 police officers were injured. Three of them were taken to hospital. Fortunately none of the injuries were serious.”

Officers later posted video footage of the violence on social media which led to a number of those involved being identified and arrested. Others handed themselves in when they saw the footage although a number of those involved have never been identified.

Mr Dee said that Colman was seen to throw at least five missiles. After his arrest he said he had drunk a large amount of beer and taken drugs including cocaine and LSD.

Cross threw two missiles at police including a lump of concrete which missed its target as it was too heavy for her to throw any distance.

Azza Brown, for Colman, said her client was very drunk by the time he arrived at the rave and was not expecting trouble.

She told the court “He had taken a cocktail of drugs and cannot remember what happened, He is ashamed by his behaviour.”

She said he is working and urged that he should receive a suspended sentence.

Miss Brown said that Cross, a former student at West Anglia College, suffered from drink and drug issues and needed help.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More