Home   News   Article

‘It could have been so much worse’ - fire at 15th Century Lavenham hotel

The Swan, High Street, Lavenham ENGANL00120120810155741
The Swan, High Street, Lavenham ENGANL00120120810155741

The general manager of a 15th Century restaurant and hotel in Lavenham has praised staff for their efforts in minimising the impact of a fire and for evacuating guests safely.

Ingo Wiangke, general manager and director of operations at The Swan at Lavenham Hotel and Spa was relieved that staff and fire crews managed to contain the chimney fire at the hotel, declaring it business as usual.

Crews were called at around 10.35am this morning with firefighters arriving around 30 minutes later.

Mr Wiangke said staff had already put out the flames and evacuated all guests but said crews arrived to make sure the building was safe and that all hot spots were extinguished.

Firefighters currently remain at the scene.

“The majority of guests had checked out at that time already,” said Mr Wiangke.

“Nobody came to any harm. I am very happy with the way we performed. It shows how important it is to have sound procedures in place.

“From my perspective it’s back to normal for us now. We are just dealing with the aftermath of the smoke that there is.

“It could have been so much worse. Knock on wood it was not and it was dealt with very effectively.”

Guests have all returned to their rooms and lunch and afternoon tea was served, with the restaurant open for business this evening.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More