Hundreds lose power as crash snaps cables

BLOCKED: Melford Road was closed for six-and-a-half hours as engineers attempted to restore electricity.
BLOCKED: Melford Road was closed for six-and-a-half hours as engineers attempted to restore electricity.
Share this article

Hundreds of residents were left without power on Tuesday after a car crashed into a telegraph pole, snapping electricity cables.

Melford Road was closed for six-and-a-half hours as police and power company engineers worked to restore electricity to 1,300 households in the area.

Emergency services, including the fire brigade and an ambulance, were called to the scene in Melford Road at around 6.30am on Tuesday after a silver Ford Mondeo collided with the pole.

Police said it was being driven by a male driver who was treated at the scene of the accident. It was not thought any other cars were involved.

Resident Joss Dalley said the first she knew about the incident was when she saw blue lights flashing outside her home.

“It was very early,” she said. “When I looked out of my window, I saw a fire engine. There was a car tightly wedged up against the pole but there was no driver to be seen.

“I didn’t hear any noise so I’m not quite sure how it hit one pole, and then came to rest against another pole further down the road outside my house.

“Since the road was closed to traffic, it’s been like living in a country lane, it’s very quiet.”

Sylvia Dales, pictured, who runs her own pottery business from Melford Road, said: “It’s a bit inconvenient being without power but some of our neighbours have found camping stoves and we are able to boil water for drinks.”

Police closed the road from York Road for about half-a-mile and put tape around the damaged pole and cabling.

Police also dealt with another incident in York Road at the junction with Melford Road close to where a road cordon was in place after a driver clipped the curb and damaged the car’s oil tank.

A spokeswoman for UK Power Networks said: “Engineers worked as quickly as was safely possible to restore power to customers in the North Street and Melford Road areas.

“Power was interrupted at 6.30am to 1,385 customers, but the majority of these were back on supply by 7.45am. Work continued to repair the pole and restore power supplies to 30 customers.”

She added: “We do understand how inconvenient it is to be without power, especially at this time of the year, and apologise to the customers affected.”