AN elderly woman was rescued by firefighters after falling unconscious while a fire raged in her flat.
Crews were called to White Horse Road, Halstead, at around 8pm on Monday after a fire broke out.
Firefighters entered the smoke-logged building and found the woman, in her 90s, on the kitchen floor.
She was given oxygen at the scene, before being taken to Colchester Hospital by ambulance.
A spokesman for Essex Fire and Rescue said the cause of the blaze was thought to have been accidental. The fire was put out by 8.30pm.