Great Cornard man died from asbestos exposure

Latest news from the Suffolk Free Press,, @sfpsudbury on Twitter
Latest news from the Suffolk Free Press,, @sfpsudbury on Twitter

A man from Great Cornard who had worked with asbestos died as a result of exposure to the material, an inquest has been told.

George Raby, 68, of Butt Road, had been diagnosed with mesothelioma just over a year before his death on April 16.

On Monday an inquest at Bury St Edmunds heard that about 50 years ago Mr Raby had worked as a laggers mate, installing asbestos-based insulation in boiler rooms.

Before his death, Mr Raby had said in a statement that his job had included mixing asbestos materials by hand and that asbestos particles had “lingered in the air” leaving him continually exposed to them.

Assistant Suffolk Coroner Dr Daniel Sharpstone said that the first symptoms that Mr Raby had of his condition was sudden weight loss and abdominal pain.

Dr Sharpstone recorded a conclusion that Mr Raby died as a result of an industrial disease.